New here

jenny989

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 23, 2014
[/IMG]Hi all!! I'm super new to this and have no clue what I'm doing. I have 6 chicks who are all feathered and ready to go oitside into their coop, just waiting for the run to be built.. I hadn't thought about putting anything under the run for a floor, i was just going to use the ground but now I'm concerned about predators underneath. Any suggestions? There are pictures of the coop and the run my husband is building which will go right up to the coop. He is using heavy duty wire to cover it and making a door for the top to get in and clean.

images

Welcome to BYC!

You can build directly on the ground but you have to make sure nothing can dig under. You can bury railroad ties, or some sort of foundation and some people bury wire deeply. I like the railroad tie idea and use it all round my poultry areas. You can even use treated lumber buried deeply as well.

Stop by our coops pages for some ideas. Many of these coops are very descriptive and may give you some ideas...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops

Good luck with your coop build and welcome to our flock!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X3 on burying wire etc a couple of feet down around the edge of the run, or running something a couple of feet out from the edge... some people will lay wire (attached to the run) a couple of feet out then put pavers, sod, etc on top of it, predators usually aren't smart enough to back up a couple of feet and start digging.

Back
Top Bottom