new here

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bpotze, Sep 19, 2014.

1. bpotze

bpotze Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2014
    I am new here...but not really new to chickens....I have had chickens on and off for several years....for the past 10 or 11 years I had a flock of rescue chickens...we went to Key West about 11 years ago...and I walked every day...and guess what I found....a chicken rescue....I would visit every day...and ended up bringing some Key West chickens and a banty pair on the long journey home to Ohio....and then about 3 years after that someone dumped some chickens off at my son in laws...so they caught up those chickens and brought them to me....those birds are all gone...so in April I bought 2 Barnvelders, 2 Golden Laced Wyandotts, 2 white Cochins, 2 Buff Brahmas and a Faverolle rooster...and then two weeks later we got 6 ducks...1 Pekin, 2 Cayuga's, 1 buff, 1 Blue Swedish and 1 Black Swedish...I've never had ducks before...so this is new to me....I did a lot of reading...and knew they were messy...and by golly they are messy...but I get a kick out of watching them....I am a bit worried about keeping them happy in the winter....

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG]

Sounds like you are bringing us a lot of great experience!

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. You have a nice, mixed flock. I had some ducks years ago and I don't think there is any way to keep them from being messy. No matter what you try, they are going to get water into their feed and spread the mess all over the ground. On the upside though, ducklings are the ultimate in cute. I had some Crested Blue Swedish ducklings and they were unbelievably cute. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can.Good luck with your flock.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I don't think ducks do all that much in winter anyway - so I wouldn't worry about entertaining them.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help. [​IMG]

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Wow, you have rescued a lot of chickens in your day! I have never kept ducks, but I hear they can make a HUGE mess!

Enjoy your wonderful flock and welcome to ours!

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

8. ShinShien

ShinShien Overrun With Chickens

Oct 1, 2013
    Alabama
    [​IMG] Hi, and [​IMG]

9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

10. LIChickens

LIChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2014
    Long Island, NY
    Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by