New- Hi!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chxnm, Apr 24, 2017.

1. chxnm

chxnm New Egg

Apr 20, 2017
    Hello, kinda new to chickens. I've had them off and on over the last decade, now with some time I am focusing on it more. I am trying to learn a lot about genetics and would like to learn about breeding for specific traits, but more for fun than show, likely. I currently have a few Delewares and another female I'm not sure of for laying, but I am awaiting some quality Marans eggs and some Ameraucanas, so I will probably have a lot of questions about breed specifics. I hope to be posting some hatch pictures.

Also I'm excited to get my kids involved in the whole process so that they can learn early and hopefully make a hobby out of raising chickens themselves.

I'm so glad that experienced breeders post on here so that I can read through everything, very appreciated of the knowledge sharing.
    Thanks!

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] glad you decided to join us.

Sounds like you already know your way around here:)

Good luck with all, I know your children will find this a fun, fascinating adventure.

3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under chxnm [​IMG] Welcome!

BYC has a Genetics & Breeding Forum you might be interested in: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/16188/exhibition-genetics-breeding-to-the-standard-of-perfection

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

4. chxnm

chxnm New Egg

Apr 20, 2017
    Thank you both! I already have a million questions, so I'll have to figure out where to start :)

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - hope you enjoy being a member as much as the rest of us.

Best wishes
    CT

6. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    Sort of sounds like you've had chickens awhile, and just sort
    of changing directions.

I never tried to do much breeding for certain traits. I was always
    happy if my eggs just hatched. So I can't help you there.

But poke around, I bet you'll find a great group here with that
    same interest.

Hoping it works for you.

Spook

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

8. chxnm

chxnm New Egg

Apr 20, 2017
    Wasn't doing much with them, just a few chickens for some eggs and then took a break, so no chickens for a bit.
    I am interested in the traits hobby, but really I just enjoy the chickens, so we're throwing some energy into coop building etc...
    it's good fun. May get the kids involved in selling some eggs locally as well, they do love the animals.

Thanks, Spook. And thanks CTK and DD!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by