New- Hi!

chxnm

Hatching
Apr 20, 2017
Hello, kinda new to chickens. I've had them off and on over the last decade, now with some time I am focusing on it more. I am trying to learn a lot about genetics and would like to learn about breeding for specific traits, but more for fun than show, likely. I currently have a few Delewares and another female I'm not sure of for laying, but I am awaiting some quality Marans eggs and some Ameraucanas, so I will probably have a lot of questions about breed specifics. I hope to be posting some hatch pictures.

Also I'm excited to get my kids involved in the whole process so that they can learn early and hopefully make a hobby out of raising chickens themselves.

I'm so glad that experienced breeders post on here so that I can read through everything, very appreciated of the knowledge sharing.
Thanks!

welcome-byc.gif
glad you decided to join us.

Sounds like you already know your way around here:)

Good luck with all, I know your children will find this a fun, fascinating adventure.

G’Day from down under chxnm
frow.gif
Welcome!

BYC has a Genetics & Breeding Forum you might be interested in: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/16188/exhibition-genetics-breeding-to-the-standard-of-perfection

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out
wink.png

Thank you both! I already have a million questions, so I'll have to figure out where to start :)

Hi and welcome to BYC - hope you enjoy being a member as much as the rest of us.

Best wishes
CT

Sort of sounds like you've had chickens awhile, and just sort
of changing directions.

I never tried to do much breeding for certain traits. I was always
happy if my eggs just hatched. So I can't help you there.

But poke around, I bet you'll find a great group here with that
same interest.

Hoping it works for you.

Spook

Sort of sounds like you've had chickens awhile, and just sort
of changing directions.

I never tried to do much breeding for certain traits. I was always
happy if my eggs just hatched. So I can't help you there.

But poke around, I bet you'll find a great group here with that
same interest.

Hoping it works for you.

Spook
Wasn't doing much with them, just a few chickens for some eggs and then took a break, so no chickens for a bit.
I am interested in the traits hobby, but really I just enjoy the chickens, so we're throwing some energy into coop building etc...
it's good fun. May get the kids involved in selling some eggs locally as well, they do love the animals.

Thanks, Spook. And thanks CTK and DD!

Back
Top Bottom