New! Hi :)

lrlt2000

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 17, 2014
NC
I haven't had a chance to add my intro, so here it is! I am a mom of 3 girls and 4 cats (3 indoors, 1 out). We live in North Carolina, in a suburban neighborhood with an HOA (more posts on that later
barnie.gif
). I acquired 3 baby chicks at our local Southern States a few weeks ago--each of my girls picked one. The sign said "RIR," but I think only 1 or 2 of them are actually RIR. The one that is definitely NOT may even be a roo! In which case, we'd end up with only 2. Here are some pics (white one is "Breeze," golden is "L'dasha" ["Dash"], and the partridge colored one is "Elsa" ["Olaf," if it ends up being a boy
lau.gif
) !

First week:

Now:

Anyway, they're still inside the house in a big plastic bin, but off of all heat/light (I'd estimate they were 1-2 weeks when we bought them, and it's been 3-4 weeks). I've put together their outdoor pen/run, and put them outside for the past two days for an hour or so, and they love it! I'm apprehensive about putting together the coop and getting them outside permanently, because of (1) the neighbors finding out and/or complaining and (2) predators. We live in a fairly busy neighborhood, but in our section, we abut the woods, and there are definitely raccoons, snakes, coyotes and possums.

I love that you all are here and look forward to getting and sharing help!

Thanks,
Leigh

images

Welcome to BYC!

Congrats on your new babies and wow are they adorable!! Are you allowed to keep chickens in your area? There won't be much noise from them for a while and especially if you don't have any roo's in that bunch. Pullets and hens are pretty quiet. As for predators, make sure your coop and run are built properly so nothing can get in and harm your birds.

Good luck with this new adventure you are on! I hope you don't have too much trouble with the neighbors. Make sure to share your first dozen eggs with them and maybe this will soften their hearts.

Welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC, I too am new and looking forward to the sharing help too. Your babies look a bit older than my but your pictures are beautiful. My babies are about the size of your second pic. Cute names I have 12 chix and 4 of them know their name!! Have fun as you and your daughters grow with your chix (or Roo)

Thank you, Leyla!! Our city has chicken laws and allows them, but our HOA applies and is not as specific as some I've seen here. It does not specifically exclude "fowl" or "poultry," but instead says:

So, we may or may not be okay
idunno.gif

I'm also not sure if it matters that we are technically in the county and outside the city limits (*just*--some parts of our neighborhood are in it, some are not). But I would think that county would be more lenient on fowl. We have an acre lot and lots of trees in this part of the neighborhood--the other parts have houses that are closer together.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Congratulations on your new chicks, how adorable, it does look like you have an Olaf there. Be sure to check out the BYC Coops section for ideas, there are some small coops there that don't look like "chicken" coops, that idea seems to be popular if you think you may have problems with the neighbors https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops You might also look into the BYC Laws section, if you want to consider trying to get your HOA laws changed to specifically allow chickens https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/37/local-chicken-laws-ordinances-and-how-to-change-them

Back
Top Bottom