New Homemade Hatcher Complete...Waiting for P.O. to Call with My Eggs

Way to go Cyn, I haven't gotten brave enough to try making a bator/hatcher yet. I like that dish as well, should help hold temps as well, it is ceramic isn't it??? Sad news about my little blue/silver baby I hatched from your eggs, my $%&( MinPin got her yesterday, I am soooo mad at that pup, grrrr

Oh, no, Bobbie! Those dogs can be fast as lightning. My dear departed Cody had a very strong prey drive and I had to be sure he couldnt get to my birds or I knew exactly what would happen. He dispatched a few cats in our old neighborhood and no living thing was safe from him.
Yes, the dish is ceramic and fits one of the large sponges very well.

Very nice. I am working at my husband to get a better 'bator built. (LOL - say that 10 times fast!)

Anyway, maybe a dumb question, but what is the little nightlight for? Just curious as I have about 20 of them here around the house.

Also, is that a 25 watt bulb?

Thanks-
Em

Hey Cyn this is too cool!
big_smile.png

We used the exact same coolers, down to the same color!
2007-08Aug03-03.jpg
2007-08Aug03-01.jpg

I guess I did get lucky with the WH thermostat.
Heres a pic showing the temp & humidity

2008-03Mar31-01.jpg

I'm hatching in mine right now, have 3 pips and a zip.

Very neat!

Couple of questions:

How do you saw through the lid? I have limit skills and limited tools. I might have a friend that could do the lid though.

What is the thing on the side that looks like it is mounted on a tin can lid?

And in Red-Rooster's what is the thing that has something from the "Fairy God Parents" oh where ever that cartoon is.
smile.png

My DH used a jigsaw to go through the lid. Made a mess of styrofoam! That stuff is awful to stick to everything. Then there is a double sheet of plexiglass in the opening.
The bulb is a 60 watt actually with some flashing to shield the direct light from the eggs so those closest wont cook. The nightlight stays on when the lightbulb goes off so there is still light in there to see by, for us and hatching chicks.
Lee, I noticed we have the exact same cooler! A guy at the flea market had two of them, both the same. Only choice I had!

Quote:
To saw through the lid first drill a hole big enough to insert a jigsaw blade, then insert the jigsaw and cut the hole.

The fairy thing is a water wiggler, you insert a thermometer probe, and the water wiggler simulates the egg core temp.

Quote:
I also used a jigsaw for the window opening, and boy does it ever get messy!

I hadn't thought about a nightlight, I'm going to borrow that idea from you.

I have 1 BR baby this a.m., and 1 more almost hatched. These guys are taking their time since its day 22, but as long as they hatch I won't bother to tell them they are tardy!
big_smile.png

Pict4628.jpg

Back
Top Bottom