New house. New to chickens. Lots of questions!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Tomriker, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Tomriker

Tomriker New Egg

Dec 30, 2013
    Willamette Valley
    Hi everyone. I found y'all via google. I live in the willamette valley, in Oregon. My wife and I along with our 2 year old moved into my great grandparents old house there a chicken coop already here but hasn't been used in several years. [​IMG] as you can see its a bit neglected. But there's lots of shade under the tree! The pen is about 30x20 and the she'd has 10 roosting boxes built into it. I plan on tearing out the fence and going in with the bobcat and brush hog to clean it up before putting a new fence back up. [​IMG] so onto the the questions. How many chickens can I keep in an area that size. I plan on not letting them out of the pen. To free range that is, Too many predators around. Next. We raise squash for the seed also.(like what you buy in the store as roasted pumpkin seeds) before they can be roasted and salted they have to be washed and dried. So I have thousands of pounds of broken dried seeds/meat/pulp. It looks like this [​IMG] would it make a suitable food source for the chickens? I have a feed grinder I could run it all through first too if those chunks are too big. I'm sure I'll have plenty of more questions. But that's all I can think of for now!

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    hello and,[​IMG] how big is the coop? times length by width and divide by 4. that will give you an idea on how many chickens. with a lot of predators i dont think that tree is the best thing to have there. perhaps you would want to rebuild your run on a different side?or maybe trim all the lower limbs and put a cover on the run. have fun!!

3. [​IMG]
    That wouldn't be a sustainable diet for laying hens. They need laying pellets, because they cover all their nutritional needs. Laying hens need added calcium etc. So you could give them the squash stuff for treats! :)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  4. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    [​IMG] The recommended square feet per chicken is 4 sq ft. You might do some research on here (there's an article on here somewhere that states edible and non-edible foods for chickens) or you can try asking a question in the "Feeding and Watering your Flock" section of the Forum.[​IMG]

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow Welcome To BYC and Happy Holidays! Like everyone else said, the general rule of thumb is 4 sq/ft per chicken in the coop and 10 in the run. That is a lot of squash seed, it is a good treat. If you have an idea of the nutritional makeup you could probably formulate your own chicken feed using a good portion of that. Had a link saved where they tried different amounts on broilers, don't know if it is the same squash. http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S1516-635X2011000400001

6. Sill

Sill Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    Tempe, AZ
    [​IMG]

You already got great advice but I'll add that you should post pics when you get your coop done. And progress pics too!

7. NinjaRooster

NinjaRooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2013
    The Corner
    :welcome

Nice coop as well!

8. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

9. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011