New House, Old Run

Aunt Angus

🐓+🦆+🐐=🎪
5 Years
Jul 16, 2018
Nevada County, CA
Hi, errybody!

I am moving from suburbia to wooded acreage and taking my flock of 10 with me (of course). I plan on getting the new coop/run ready before we move the chickens up there.

New area = new, more numerous predators: coyotes, raccoons, hawks, and a big ol' resident king snake the former tenants named Herman. Neighbors said they saw a bear not too long ago.

Current set up has a welded-wire run (think dog kennel) that is covered. I have hardware cloth on lower half of the run.

I'm considering adding electric wire near bottom and partway up sides of the run and coop walls.

Will that deter the above listed predators? What about the snake? If anyone has experience with electric fence and has advice, I'd love to hear it.

TIA!

Herman, I love it XD

From what I've read, a mix of buried 1/2 inch hardware cloth and electrical wire should keep most things out. Snakes I'm not sure about though. I know they're dangerous to eggs and young birds. But you can just make sure there isn't a way for him to get in and it should be fine. We have a bull snake every year, but we leave the run door open so the birds can leave and we're fairly sure he just slither through the wide open door

Herman, I love it XD

From what I've read, a mix of buried 1/2 inch hardware cloth and electrical wire should keep most things out. Snakes I'm not sure about though. I know they're dangerous to eggs and young birds. But you can just make sure there isn't a way for him to get in and it should be fine. We have a bull snake every year, but we leave the run door open so the birds can leave and we're fairly sure he just slither through the wide open door
Thanks. So the wire is a go! I will get started asap.

Where I am now, the only real problem is hawks, and they are few and far between. Coyotes? Snakes? And BEARS? Oh my...

I am still debating letting them out on the property for a few hours daily. Right now, they go out at 4 or 5pm and stay out until it's dark or until I get tired. Supervising them here in a kinda small fenced yard is easy. Doing the same in acres of woods, not so much. Toying with the idea of electric poultry netting, too, for the property. Not effective against hawks, I know, but the woods will offer lots of cover. And I have a very vigilant rooster. I just don't know...

Honestly I really don't have a problem with hawks. 9 years and only 1 or two birds have been carried off with literal free ranging every day.

Coyotes on the other hand we lose birds to all the time. But as long as you close the coop every night and don't leave eggs or.... parts near the coop, you should be okay. Make sure any dead bird is put away from the coop too

Honestly I really don't have a problem with hawks. 9 years and only 1 or two birds have been carried off with literal free ranging every day.

Coyotes on the other hand we lose birds to all the time. But as long as you close the coop every night and don't leave eggs or.... parts near the coop, you should be okay. Make sure any dead bird is put away from the coop too
Tha's very reassuring! I've scared off two Coopers hawks that were stalking in my yard - I hurled an egg at one and squirted another with a garden hose. I have yet to lose a bird (knock on wood) to anything - predator or illness- in 2 years of chicken keeping. I know that's not long, but I am in no hurry to experience that misery!

Wait , that's not entirely true - I did have a disastrous order of chicks.

Hi, errybody!

I am moving from suburbia to wooded acreage and taking my flock of 10 with me (of course). I plan on getting the new coop/run ready before we move the chickens up there.

New area = new, more numerous predators: coyotes, raccoons, hawks, and a big ol' resident king snake the former tenants named Herman. Neighbors said they saw a bear not too long ago.

Current set up has a welded-wire run (think dog kennel) that is covered. I have hardware cloth on lower half of the run.

I'm considering adding electric wire near bottom and partway up sides of the run and coop walls.

Will that deter the above listed predators? What about the snake? If anyone has experience with electric fence and has advice, I'd love to hear it.

TIA!
I would do the electrical fence and I would do the hot pepper trick I use ghost peppers you crush them especially the seeds put it in a line around your coop and run. it deters most predators im not sure about bears all the rest though reapply every month or after a big rain and make sure you put the electrical fence a few inches into the ground and make sure its not touching your regular fence it will cook your chickens

Back
Top Bottom