New housing development comprimising our chickens

newchickenfam

Chirping
Feb 26, 2015
We currently have 2 backyard hens, and follow our cities by-law (they must be 50 feet from neighbouring dwellings). There is a housing development going in behind our property. It was a school, which has been demolished and is currently open space. The townhouses are proposed to be built 24 feet from our coop. At our city council meeting on Tuesday (for the builders request to re-zone the property), they expressed that our city does not have a grandfather clause. We are going to try to fight this, but I am looking for any input or experience? City council did also express that the by-laws are complaint driven, and that they would allow us to keep our chickens as long as no one complains. This really doesn't sit well with me. That a developer can choose to build a house so close to our property, and I am now breaking a by-law.
There is an official city council meeting tonight regarding the re-zoning. I am going to attend to see if the chicken issue is brought up. The city also sent a by-law officer out to our house today to inspect the coop, and write a report for them. The by-law officer said that they have never had to deal with an issue like this before, so the city wanted a report on our coop and to ensure we were following the by-law, which he agreed we were.
We have the last resort option Of trying to move our coop in to the yard a bit, but it is not a convenient location, and would mean dismantleling our daughters play set, and ripping out a well established garden.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

You can always bring up the chickens as new business at the meeting.
Get local media involved. You don't have much time so you need to call them now. Newspapers and radio are OK but TV cameras have a huge impact.
Inform them that if you have to move your coop into the middle of the yard (away from shade) it could jeopardize the health and well being of the chickens.

city Council granted our property an exception! All on their own! They spoke about how unfair it would be to make an otherwise completely legal coop an illegal one because someone is building beside us. I am in total and complete shock!!!

Yay! Make a HUGE deal out of this to bring good attention to issue. Write letter to editor, TV, radio, etc and name names to say thank you, grateful, etc. Build them good bridges in case you need them later.

Back
Top Bottom