New idea for a hatchery business

I wonder if reptile shops would take them to feed to snakes?
I've seen online shops that sell food for pet snakes, including dead mice and rats of various sizes, and dead baby chicks. So there is at least some market for them.

It will really come down to whether you can find a market that's close enough to you, and is willing to work with you.

Asking local reptile shops does sound like a good place to start.

Most people want pullets when they buy baby chicks.
So I came up with a idea for a new business adventure.
I will start a hatchery and my moto will be that all the chicks for sale will be pullets.
I will even guarantee all chicks sold are pullets and buy back all roosters if I'm wrong.
The kicker is everything I sell will be black sex links that lay every color variety of eggs out there.
Will you do bantams as well?

There are very few hatcheries that sell sexed pullets of any kind of bantam, and the ones that do are charging very high prices (relative to the prices of sexed pullets of common standard-sized breeds.)

Will you do bantams as well?

There are very few hatcheries that sell sexed pullets of any kind of bantam, and the ones that do are charging very high prices (relative to the prices of sexed pullets of common standard-sized breeds.)
Interesting idea.
Your right vent sexing Bantams is very hard most hatcheries won't do it.
I could sell black sex link bantams and charge a premium price for them.
Black Bantam Amerucana rooster x Bantam Barred Rock hen= Bantam Black sex link green eggers.
Bantam Rhode island red rooster x Bantam Barred Rock hen= Bantam Black sex link brown eggers.
I could probably sell a few others.

Interesting idea.
Your right vent sexing Bantams is very hard most hatcheries won't do it.
I could sell black sex link bantams and charge a premium price for them.
Black Bantam Amerucana rooster x Bantam Barred Rock hen= Bantam Black sex link green eggers.
Bantam Rhode island red rooster x Bantam Barred Rock hen= Bantam Black sex link brown eggers.
I could probably sell a few others.
Cochin Bantams and Old English Game Bantams each come in a wide variety of colors, so you could probably do purebreds of each by crossing a black male to a barred female.

The problem I see is sex-linked mixes are not at all unusual... customers could order from a hatchery to get their sex links along with the variety of breeds they are used to getting to add together in one order.

The only way to stand out as a small operation is to offer better quality, purebred birds.
One of our members (welbars.com) already offers sex-linked, purebred Ameraucana.

I was going to offer mixed, sexlink bantam eggs this year. Just a local thing, mainly for 4H kids that lived in town amd couldn't keep roosters, so that it was known long before Secondary traits showed up which were male and which were female. Sexlinked eggs aren't as nice as sexlinked chicks, buy it's all I can do for now.

The problem I see is sex-linked mixes are not at all unusual... customers could order from a hatchery to get their sex links along with the variety of breeds they are used to getting to add together in one order.

The only way to stand out as a small operation is to offer better quality, purebred birds.
One of our members (welbars.com) already offers sex-linked, purebred Ameraucan

One of our members (welbars.com) already offers sex-linked, purebred Ameraucana.
Let's see I can think of few sex linked birds the big commercial hatcheries offer.
But they all lay brown eggs.
Mystic Maran.
Shappire gem.
Cinnamon Queen.
ISA brown.
Black stars.
Tell me what big hatchery sells a sex link that lays white eggs, green eggs, blue eggs or olive eggs?
Cream crested Lebars are sex linked blue eggers.
But how many big hatcheries have them?

Let's see I can think of few sex linked birds the big commercial hatcheries offer.
Mystic Maran.
Shappire gem.
Cinnamon Queen.
ISA brown.
Black stars.
Tell me what big hatchery sells a sex link that lays white eggs, green eggs, blue eggs or olive eggs?
Wellbars.com sells sexlinked Ameraucana
Last year, ideal had sexlinked olive eggers (though I'm unsure if they advertised them as sexlink. End result was sexlinking though)

Wellbars.com sells sexlinked Ameraucana
Last year, ideal had sexlinked olive eggers (though I'm unsure if they advertised them as sexlink. End result was sexlinking though)
Ok so you listed 2 separate hatcheries that have a sex linked Amerucana and a sex linked olive eggers.
My hatchery guaranteed pullets.com would offer black sex linked hybrids that lay every egg color.
People could buy them in variety packs and get pullets that lay 1of every egg color.
From 1 order placed by 1 hatchery.
Plus newbies would fall for my rooster buy back guarantee.
There many that people want pullets and they want all the egg colors.
There not going to care about other stuff.
This will give me a leg up on competition.

Have you looked into all the legalities of trying to do this? The money to start? Pens? NPIP? Poop? Feeds storage?

Mystic Maran.
Shappire gem.
Cinnamon Queen.
ISA brown.
Black stars.
Meyers does. And most hatcheries have legbars.

Back
Top Bottom