New idea for a hatchery business

bigz1983

Crowing
7 Years
Aug 9, 2016
Michigan
Most people want pullets when they buy baby chicks.
So I came up with a idea for a new business adventure.
I will start a hatchery and my moto will be that all the chicks for sale will be pullets.
I will even guarantee all chicks sold are pullets and buy back all roosters if I'm wrong.
The kicker is everything I sell will be black sex links that lay every color variety of eggs out there.
I will only need a few breeds and separate breeding pens to accomplish this.
I will have a breeding pen with Cuckoo Maran, California grey and Barred Rock hens with 1 black Amerucana rooster.
That will give me black sex link olive eggers, black sex link light blue eggers and black sex link light green eggers.
Then I will have another pen with Cuckoo Maran and California grey hens with a brown leghorn rooster.
That will give me black sex link medium/light brown eggers and black sex link white egg layers.
To have black sex link dark egg layers I could have another pen with a black copper maran rooster and cuckoo maran hens.
I could offer breeds separate or as variety packs.
People that live in town and can't have roosters would like this hatchery.
I could have a website named something like "Pullets only.com" and write up a guarantee.
I think people would pay a premium price for this.
The biggest issue is what to do with all the male baby chicks?

Looks like your issue with be the same as all the other hatcheries.
Also your pullet only idea is good but all the other hatcheries have the same idea by having their chicks vent sexed.
Vent sexing by the hatcheries isn't all that accurate.
I have had many roosters that were vent sexed by hatcheries as "pullets"
The big hatcheries Hoover, McMurray, Town line etc don't offer a money back guarantee or a buy back on roosters.

Vent sexing by the hatcheries isn't all that accurate.
I have had many roosters that were vent sexed by hatcheries as "pullets"
The big hatcheries Hoover, McMurray, Town line etc don't offer a money back guarantee or a buy back on roosters.
Idk that I'd do but backs. Who knows what illnesses they'd bring back to your property.

You're right about only pullets, and people really seem to like the colored eggs, though.

What are you gonna do if someone saids you sold them roosters and they gave back roosters that they already had from other sources?

Idk that I'd do but backs. Who knows what illnesses they'd bring back to your property.

You're right about only pullets, and people really seem to like the colored eggs, though.
It's so easy to correctly identify the gender on black sex links that I won't ever have to buy back roosters.
My buy back or money back guarantee is basically a gimmick for people that don't know this.

Back
Top Bottom