Who decides egg color

GrayBlackbird

In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2023
I understand a hens genetics decide the color of her eggs. But when u breed a rooster to her does his genetics affect what color the new chicks eggs will be. Ie if I cross a an americuana roo to a marans I would get green (probably) if I cross a marans roo to an americauna hen will the eggs still probably be green? I didnt know if it only worked one way like a solid colored rooster to barred rocks produce sex links I never tried or even thought much about the reverse. When I tried to google it all it said was a hen decides egg color but I wasnt asking bout the hen being mated I was talking future off spring. Should have just asked u guys anyway. Tia

I understand a hens genetics decide the color of her eggs. But when u breed a rooster to her does his genetics affect what color the new chicks eggs will be. Ie if I cross a an americuana roo to a marans I would get green (probably) if I cross a marans roo to an americauna hen will the eggs still probably be green? I didnt know if it only worked one way like a solid colored rooster to barred rocks produce sex links I never tried or even thought much about the reverse. When I tried to google it all it said was a hen decides egg color but I wasnt asking bout the hen being mated I was talking future off spring. Should have just asked u guys anyway. Tia
Yes. His genes mixed with hers create the chicks, so like you mentioned, the Ameraucana rooster bred to a Maran hen, you are combining two breeds of chickens, one that carries a blue egg-laying gene, and another that carries a brown egg-laying gene, resulting in green.

When it says the hen decides the egg color, that's because it's due to the genes she got from her parents, and thereafter, she will always lay that same color.

Back
Top Bottom