New in Berryville, Virginia

Hi and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've decided to join us :ya

You're about 2 hours from Polyface farms. That's where I learned to process meat birds. If you call them, they'll tell you when they are processing and you can watch and they'll teach. I was driving from Springfield at the time and it was well worth the drive. Also Joel has some good youtube videos that explain the process well, but seeing it in person makes a difference. Also sunrise farms has awesome feed. They are who Joel uses.

Wow! I've never heard of Polyface farms. They look amazing, and I really want to attend one of their seminars. All sold out for this year, and they aren't doing any next year. But they ARE hosting a Mother Earth News Fair on their farm next year.

Thanks for the tip on them. I just placed an order with them, and they had a note that if you are a customer, they'll give you a discount coupon. Message me if you are.

Wow! I've never heard of Polyface farms. They look amazing, and I really want to attend one of their seminars. All sold out for this year, and they aren't doing any next year. But they ARE hosting a Mother Earth News Fair on their farm next year.

Thanks for the tip on them. I just placed an order with them, and they had a note that if you are a customer, they'll give you a discount coupon. Message me if you are.

I was a customer, but too far away now. Trying to follow their methods though. My preferred feed supplier is their's too. Sunrise Farms.

I'm trying to get my local feed supplier to import from them. Shipping is the same price for 10 or 50 bags still about $4 a bag, but worth it.

Feed doesn't last all that long, does it? One of the things I'm trying to figure out is how to keep costs down without having to throw out moldy feed.

I'm trying to get my local feed supplier to import from them. Shipping is the same price for 10 or 50 bags still about $4 a bag, but worth it.

Feed doesn't last all that long, does it? One of the
Fresher is better and will last longer. Storing in a cool dark place with little air & moisture will also extend its life. I use food grade 55 gallon plastic barrels to store mine. They are air/water tight and rodent resistant.

Thanks. That's a good idea. I've been thinking about five or ten gallon galvanized trash cans, but plastic barrels probably work just as well. You probably have a much larger flock than I will have. I don't know what my feed usage is going to be, but I doubt I will be able to go through a 55-gallon container before it goes bad.

Back
Top Bottom