New in Charleston,SC

Elvisfan

Hatching
7 Years
May 15, 2012
Hi to everyone! I have gathered tips from everyone over the last 2 years, getting tips on types of coops, how to build, and caring for chickens. Over the last 2 years, we have collected eggs from our 2 hens as when we got them we considered ourselves very lucky! About 3 1/2-4weeks ago, my husband decided to leave 4 eggs in with one of our hens as she was "acting " very "motherly".Well, today we had 1 chick that had hatched( I thought I would cry ! ),and she was still very protective over the other 3 eggs. Our question is: should we leave the babies in her with her or remove them? What is the absolute best thing to do? Thank you to anyone who gives me pointers, I truly appreciate it! God Bless!!!
D.gif

frow.gif
welcome-byc.gif
from washington state glad you joined us!
Surprising mothers know best as long as no other hens can harm them they should be just fine, sound like the mother is already protective!

welcome-byc.gif

Leave the babies with mom. I've done it all, incubator, mom hen, raised rejected chicks myself... Mom hen raising the babies is the best! Enjoy!

Hello and :welcome

Congrats on your hatch!! That must be so exciting. Leave the chick with the mother hen, she'll know what to do.
Don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have, and enjoy the site. :D

Back
Top Bottom