New in Colorado Springs, CO

Nice to meet you Doug, you may want to check out your state thread. Good chance you will find other BYCERS who can answer questions about breed locality , egg production, and suitable for your climate.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/colorado.68894/page-2868

I should have linked our states thread! :he so forgetful!!

I know you didn't ask what MY favorite breed is but I will share anyway. :p

I LOVE my black Australorp. They are very even tempered no muss no fuss birds. My second favorite would be Buff Orpington for the same reasons.

Looking to raise for eggs. We are currently using 1-2 dozen eggs per week; that doesn't account for hard boiled eggs. Maybe about 5-6 dozen per month. Conservative estimate.

This is something that my wife has wanted for a long while.
Thanks, Doug
Hello from a fellow Coloradan! :) Your wife is a smart one...chickens are sweet friendly fluffballs and fresh hen eggs are the best ever! Some things to consider: What other qualities of birds are you two looking for? Do you live in an area zoned for backyard chickens? Will you want them confined to a coop/run or will they have room to roam? Do you have kids that might like to raise birds for 4H and/or have them as pets? Being here in CO, you are going to want to look at cold-hardy breeds. You and wifey can look at some breed selection tools to see what might interest you. If you don't want to support a hatchery you can buy from a local breeder and actually know where your chooks are coming from. Happy hen hunting! <3

P.S. if you are interested in ultra-rare breeds, I have Coronation Sussex and Jubilee Orpington chicks on the way! :)

Hello everyone! Great to see so much activity on this forum.
Just my wife and me; in Colorado Springs, within city limits, backyard chickens are allowed, just no roosters! Several people we know have chickens in town; including neighbor across the street! Plenty of room for the chicks to free-range in the fenced backyard. Haven't used any pesticides or commercial turf fertilizer for about 10 years. My wife had ovarian cancer in 2010, no evidence of disease (NED) to date! Only eat organic, and not processed food, so looking for the local source for non-gmo, soy-free, chicken feed. Google search shows that there are plenty of available sources here in Colorado.

G’Day from down under Doug :frow Welcome!

This article may help you decide on a breed: Pickin a Chicken

This is a good article also:
How Much Room Do Chickens Need

I do hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

Including your general location on your profile will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out. These two may be of particular interest to you:
Topic of the Week - Getting Started, Keeping Chickens
Topic of the Week - Keeping the Flock Safe from Predators

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock when they arrive, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Back
Top Bottom