New in Illinois

megpie021

Songster
5 Years
Feb 25, 2017
Mchenry, Illinois
Hello!

Ive been looking at this site for a long time now, and since we moved to unincorporated McHenry in August I finally get to actualize my chicken dreams haha. We moved here from Lansing Michigan but are originally from Snohomish WA. Husband is a pilot. I stay home and enjoy my many hobbies. I love cooking, gardening and my fur babies. We have two cats, two small dogs and two guinea pigs. We are also pretty involved in an exchange student program. I am very excited to jump into the whole chicken thing!

Welcome to BYC and the poultry obsession - so glad you've joined us! Sounds like quite the busy family you have already - chickens will only make it sweeter. Look forward to seeing you around the forums.

Thank you for joining us at Backyard chickens. Do you have any particular chicken breeds in mind? You may want to join the Illinois state thread. Just put that in the search box and it will pop up. You may have some BYCERS as neighbors.

welcome-byc.gif

Thanks for joining us, it's nice to have you here!

Thank you all. I actually just posted in the Illinois group, so hopefully I can connect with a few locals. As far as chickens breeds go, well... I jumped in to that this weekend. The local feed store got chicks in and I couldn't resist and DH has a very hard time resisting their cute faces and me as well haha. We are only allowed to keep 6 per our ordinance. We got four. A SIlver Laced Wyandotte, an Amberlink (she was one of he last of her kind and a very pretty white), a Buff Orpington and what was sold as an Ameraucana but is actually an Easter Egger. They are now occupying a guest room and seem to be doing well. They are eating, drinking and pooping like champs. The feed store is getting in bantams next week and I am debating rounding out my six.... the issue being they are straight run and I am not allowed to have roosters. I picked those four because they are supposed to be nice temperaments and decent layers. So far they are all getting along. Father in law is building a coop for us. So if I do go for six I will have room.

Thank you all. I actually just posted in the Illinois group, so hopefully I can connect with a few locals. As far as chickens breeds go, well... I jumped in to that this weekend. The local feed store got chicks in and I couldn't resist and DH has a very hard time resisting their cute faces and me as well haha. We are only allowed to keep 6 per our ordinance. We got four. A SIlver Laced Wyandotte, an Amberlink (she was one of he last of her kind and a very pretty white), a Buff Orpington and what was sold as an Ameraucana but is actually an Easter Egger. They are now occupying a guest room and seem to be doing well. They are eating, drinking and pooping like champs. The feed store is getting in bantams next week and I am debating rounding out my six.... the issue being they are straight run and I am not allowed to have roosters. I picked those four because they are supposed to be nice temperaments and decent layers. So far they are all getting along. Father in law is building a coop for us. So if I do go for six I will have room.

Some lovely breeds!

G’Day from down under megpie021
frow.gif
Welcome!

Very exciting! I wish you and your little ones all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom