New in Minnesota

JazzyzGurl

Chirping
Apr 4, 2020
Hi everyone! As I sit here typing I'm looking at out at the ~2 inches of snow we got yesterday/last night I'm wondering where spring went?!

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? Yes, I am new to chickens. I've wanted them for some time, but finally picked up my first hens four days ago from a local-ish family where the children raise day-old chicks and sell them at various ages, as well as their eggs, to help them pay for college.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? I have six hens right now - they were hatched last October.

(3) What breeds do you have? I have an Easter Egger, a Silver Laced Wyandotte, a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte, a Buff Orpington, a Blue Cochin, and a Black Australorp. I wanted a variety so I could see what breeds I enjoy the most - and honestly so I can tell them apart ;)

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens? I enjoy watching the chickens and the eggs they provide. I'm hoping as they get to know me better, interacting with them will be more fun; right now they're very skittish around me.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? I enjoy all sorts of handcrafts, with sewing and knitting being at the top of the list. I also enjoy photography, hiking, camping, and reading.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. My husband and I have five grown children, five grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren. For many years our cat has been our only pet; his name is Satan (which fit him when he was a kitten, but thankfully he's mellowed) and he's 14 years old. I'm a mostly retired freelance photographer, only taking the occasional job now and then. I live on just over 70 mostly wooded acres in southeastern Minnesota and spend a lot of time outside whenever I can.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D In doing research before getting my chickens BYC often came up in my results. The people in this group seem helpful and friendly so now that I'm learning by experience instead of just by research I thought it was time to join the flock ;)

Thank you for the warm welcome! I've been holding off on taking nice pics until they're acclimated to their new home well enough to let them free range - so I only have this one not so great pic of them shortly after we picked them up. I'll follow up with more pics later :)

Attachments

• 20200401_144850.jpg
    20200401_144850.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom