New in more ways than one

Rin

Songster
14 Years
Oct 22, 2009
Moonglade (EU)
I am very new to chickens. In that my very first attempt at hatching eggs hasn't quite begun yet! I ordered a dozen bantam eggs(exactly which ones will be a surprise) so of course, I haven't any chickens yet - not counting them before they hatch and all that.

Aside from that, I like to play games and I love animals and drawing them. Currently, I have two ball pythons that moved here with me, I used to live in the city but finally got the opportunity to move back to the country like I grew up in and man. Feels like home again. I was only four but I don't think I ever forgave my mom for moving us to the city. But yes, two ball pythons that moved here with me, Raven a normal one but Angel is het for hypo. I also brought my cat Mose with me who's such a barn cat. He loves it so much more here too. While here though I adopted a dog from the local Humane Society that they named Farrah. I kept the name. Here's hoping she wont go after my eggs
smile.png

I'm attempting to start with a Hovabator 1602N and a dozen bantam eggs from a very reputable breeder who even sends show papers with their day olds and ofc, starting them indoors
smile.png
any tips people might have - greaaaatly appreciated.

Thanks for the warm welcome
smile.png
Forgot to mention that I'm in Silver Springs, FL - in the Ocala national forest
smile.png

Last edited:
I am a newbie to the chicken world to, so I'm not going to be much help. We hatched 5 bantam buckeye eggs in august. I'm still trying to learn what it is that I need to know... lol We were told to follow hatching information exactly because the temperature and humidity can cause a variety of problems if the are not exactly right... We used a dial type of thermometer and wish it had been digital - easier to read and know that you are at the correct temp. With that said thermometer's vary in readings, so 100 degrees on one might be 98 on another... Not sure how you cope with that. We just went with what we had and hoped for the best. We read that if the humidity isn't correct the chick could stick to the egg at hatching - again causing problems.

We began with 29 eggs and only had 5 hatch, be we also got them from a local breeder which gave us nothing but the fertile eggs. We got lots of books, read on the internet, checked with our local extension office. Nothing like some experience to make you an expert though. Of the 5 that hatched, we didn't have any problems though.

Good luck with your hatchings!! When will you start incubating them? We look forward to hearing more from you!!

Back
Top Bottom