New in Oregon

jojoyoyo

Chirping
Oct 19, 2018
Hi!

I'm new to the group, but have known about BYC since I got chickens, and love, love, love the forums! This group is amazing.

I've had backyard chickens for 5 years, and, currently have 10 chickens from 5 months to 5 years old (6 Buff Orpington, 1 Easter Egger, 1 Jersey Giant, 1 Speckled Sussex, and our reigning matriarch, a fabulous Blue Andalusian). They are pets. I'm vegetarian but do eat eggs (yumm!). My husband and I moved to the country 2 years ago, and live on 16 acres.

My husband built our coop (8x24'), it has electricity, etc., and a huge covered run: a whopping 2,500 s/f. He used hardware cloth around & on top, lots of supports, and buried the hardware cloth in poured concrete. We have eagles (Golden & Bald), hawks, bobcats, coyotes, neighbor's dogs, etc. out here. I'm doing a bit of landscaping in the run, too, but it's taking longer than I'd like. We do supervised free-range for about 1 hour or so a day, depending on the time of year.

I'm a college art instructor, an artist, and a fledgling writer. I hope to have a pet chicken-ish centered blog up soon!

Thanks for letting me join!

Egg shaped welcome.jpg

It sounds like a very nice place!

I hope to see you on the threads!

Welcome to BYC!:frow

All of us are happy to have you here, we always have enough room on the BYC roost!

Feel free to ask questions, there are so many wonderful people who will answer them with great understanding! :celebrate

I absolutely love all of those breeds, perfect for pets and eggs!

Enjoy your time on this amazing site! :woot
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Welcome to Backyard Chickens! We are glad you joined the flock!:welcome BYC is a helpful site providing all the information you need to know about poultry! There is always space for more members on the BYC roost!:highfive: It sounds like your husband built a nice coop with a spacious, secure run! Your job sounds very interesting and hard too, it must of required a lot of work! Hope you enjoy it here as much as we all do!

Back
Top Bottom