New in Tennessee

PJK63

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 8, 2014
Hello all! We are new chicken owners! We got our chicks a couple of months ago and they are now about 12 weeks old now. We ordered the chicks from McMurray with a friend's help! We have 2 Americanas, 1 buttercup, 1 barred rock, 1 blue Andalusian, 1 buff orpington, 1 white wyandotte (it was supposed to be a white orp), 1 golden Polish and 1 black Australorp roo. I have had so much fun with my "girls!" I never knew how entertaining chickens could be, or how attached I could get to a bunch of silly birds! The only thing I worry about, besides predators and the neighbors dog, is I think our buff orpington might be a roo rather than a pullet. Not sure what we'll do with 2 roosters if this is the case! We've only heard one of them crowing, but not positive that it's the black Australorp.

Pam :eek:)

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Congrats on your chicks! They sure grow fast don't they?! And yes, their little personalities are priceless!

Please feel free to post pics of your buff orp here https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this
Also feel free to PM me. I've raised buff orps for years and have come to know what they look like at different points in their life.

Best of luck to you and welcome to our flock!

Welcome to Tenn, we have lived in Sparta, TN for a year and a half and love it here. Enjoy your chickens - they sure are fun.

Hello and welcome, my roos get along . They grew up together, have enough room and seem to have developed their own pecking order.Lots of luck to ya'll.
woot.gif

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

Definitely post in the What Breed or Gender section. We'll be happy to confirm whether you have any unknown roosters!

Thanks! Actually, I'm just new to chickens! I've lived in Tennessee for almost 51 years, since I was born! :eek:)
Pam :eek:)

Welcome to BYC, Pam. Glad you decided to join our flock. You have a nice mixed flock. Black Australorps are my favorite standard breed; extremely hardy, calm and gentle (my children, and now my granddaughter, made lap pets of ours), and excellent layers of large, brown eggs. Just in case you are not aware of the difference, your Ameraucanas from Murray McMurray are actually Easter Eggers and not true Ameraucanas which are rare, relatively expensive, and lay only blue eggs. The only major hatchery that sells true Ameraucanas is Meyer Hatchery, which sells Blue Ameraucanas (they sell Easter Eggers as well). Easter Eggers are produced by crossing true Ameraucanas with other breeds to produce offspring that lay eggs in colors other than just blue. Hatcheries often market these Easter Eggers under the labels Araucana or Ameraucana (often misspelled as Americana or Americauna). There is a good article at http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/09/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana.html explaining the difference between Ameraucanas, Aracaunas, and Easter Eggers. There's certainly nothing wrong with Easter Eggers. They typically outlay their true Ameraucana parents and they are my granddaughter's (pictured in my avatar) favorite chickens. She loves the different colored eggs that they lay. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom