New In The Chicken Coupe

kbroom

Songster
Jan 26, 2023
Hi, folks! I new here, and with the chicken raising projects. It's true, my chicken coupe just arrived today, and I put it together. I'm very excited. I just found this forum today, and glad that I did, because I'm going to need a lot of advice from anyone who's willing to give it. I do have a lot of Spanish Moss here, in Rosharon, Texas. So, maybe I can save money on bedding. I want to get everything ready before I get my chicks. I was thinking about getting them in the Spring time. Does anyone have any ideas on that? February is the coldest month here.

Hi, folks! I new here, and with the chicken raising projects. It's true, my chicken coupe just arrived today, and I put it together. I'm very excited. I just found this forum today, and glad that I did, because I'm going to need a lot of advice from anyone who's willing to give it. I do have a lot of Spanish Moss here, in Rosharon, Texas. So, maybe I can save money on bedding. I want to get everything ready before I get my chicks. I was thinking about getting them in the Spring time. Does anyone have any ideas on that? February is the coldest month here.
What type of chicken are you looking for? (Personality, size, broodiness). How much room do you have? How many chicks are you looking to get? Any particular color of eggs you prefer?

My coupe is very small at the moment. It's approx. 5'X 2'. I plan to expand it later, as the flock grows. I'm also going to surround it was an electric fence to keep out other critters. I just want to have some egg laying hens. I don't care what color the eggs are. I think. :)

Would you consider getting Bantams? Standard chickens would not have much room in that. If the coop itself is 2x5, you could squeeze 3 smaller chickens in. If the coop with run included are 2x5, bantams are probably the only chickens that would comfortably fit.

Wow! You've raised so many good questions. I had considered that as the flock grew, that I'd expand the coop. I'm intending to build on to the coop, by opening up the back, and simply building onto it. That might be a bit ambitious though, since my carpentry skills are no and void. However, I DO have several tools; staple gun, chicken wire, etc. I guess Bantoms might be a good idea? I'm going to have to ask some advice from anyone who knows. I hadn't planned on having any more than four chickens, at the most.

Welcome and Congratulations! You have come to the right place.

Not sure about there, but in Wisconsin, its cold till June. So we keep ours indoors under lamps till they have their feathers in and its not too bad out. This site is awesome. So much great advice.

Back
Top Bottom