new incubator build

I don't incubate so it is just a thought if I was going to do this w/new stuff I would just use the plywood.
big_smile.png

Quote:
if they aren't the same wattage, size or material they aren't a good example to compare insulated to non insulated... i'm sure it has to make a difference... what's going to hold heat better, a cooler or a paper bag...?

Quote:
if they aren't the same wattage, size or material they aren't a good example to compare insulated to non insulated... i'm sure it has to make a difference... what's going to hold heat better, a cooler or a paper bag...?

i agree, i got a mini fridge for ten bucks, that i made into an incubator

The insulation will help maintain a more constant temperature, thats not debateable. Other benefits are a decrease in the amount of electricity needed over the next 21 days. Does it have to be insulated, of course not, but personally, if i was going to take the time and spend the money to build as nice a incubator as the one in the pictures appears to be, I would go all the way and add the insulation.

14833_0409101046.jpg

14833_0409101044.jpg

I know insulation would make a difference but never even gave it a thought when planning the build. It is at least air tight so far until I add the vent holes. I need my parts to get here before I go any further. Only things I have yet to get are the hinges and latches. I do have to punch holes in the turning pans, I made them out of galvanized sheet metal and figure the air should flow through them .

Quote:

The wattage per sq /ft is approximately the same the material is exactly the same I cut them both from the same sheet of 3/4" A/C ply I had left over from the last boat transom I built/ replaced

i say you are doing great, it looks like it is gonna be a good incubator, i say insulation will be needed if it is gonna be used in a non insulated shed, if it is gonna be in your house, then do what you wanna do, insulation is just gonna take up space for a bigger egg turner, GREAT JOB
thumbsup.gif

I've also been toying with the addition of ballast or thermal mass. Basically I put some left over ceramic tiles in the bator I built. I can have it open for quite some time and have the air temp cool drastically, but when I close it back up it comes back to temp almost immediately.

Well I need to update with some new pics. Ive got the cabinet basically done with the fan, heater, and thermostat imstalled and actually running. I started on the turning racks but didnt like how they looked so decided to do them different and just need to get them done. The cabinet holds temps pretty good but cant get good readings. With 3 different thermometers in the same spot Ive got 3 different readings. The 2 digitals are close but my mercury brooder thermometer is around 10 degrees off to the cold side. Ive also got the turner motor and the other parts to make it work but hit a couple bumps in the road to make it do what I wanted. Its going to work just took more money and time once I got started on it. Ill try to vet pics losted soon.

Back
Top Bottom