New Inexperienced Membee

PaisChickens17

In the Brooder
Apr 10, 2021
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Quite new to keeping chickens! I have had them just shy of a year and boy have I learned a lot in this small amount of time but at the same time I dont know nearly enough.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
I currently have 10 chickens total. 9 hens and 1 rooster.

(3) What breeds do you have?
2 black Lacey's, 6 rhode island reds, and another one that I'm not sure of the breed.. possibly a cornish or golden

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
I love watching how they behave and react to things in their environment. We have one that is friendly as long as you have the bag of mealworms. And I mainly got them because my 3 year old wanted them, but guess who's taking care of them 😂. Oh and they give me breakfast! Lol

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? Fishing, animal lover, cooking, shopping

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. I am married, have one daughter who is now 4. We have two dogs and two cats (both chicken watchers and have never tried to attack).

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
Google! And then having lots of chicken questions

Hi and Welcome! :frow With 6 RIRs, you'll have lots of eggs! I'm always looking for recipes to use my excess eggs. Custard and frittata are my favorites.

Wondering where you are located......I'm on the West Coast.
Wishing you the best with your flock. Maybe your little girl will be able to help you when she gets a little older.
Feel like I'm up to my head I'm eggs! Lol constantly giving them to others. I'm located in south texas!
She loves going in to get the eggs everyday as long as the rooster isn't nearby+

I have a 5 year old granddaughter that loves to throw scratch for the hens and, like your daughter, to collect eggs. There is something fascinating about running to the nest boxes, opening the lid, and as if by magic the egg appears!
I can't get rid of my hens ever. What would the grandchildren do when they visit if there are no eggs to collect?!:confused:

Back
Top Bottom