New Intro

chickmashnoon

Songster
8 Years
Jun 3, 2011
Champaign County, Illinois
Alright- Where to start? You guys are nice enough to give me a list of starting questions so I will copy them right here and go from there . . . (BTW, thanks for the nudge)

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Oh yes- completely new, although I've had parakeets and a macaw for a while so I am very familliar with cleaning bird poo.
roll.png
My little flock is a month old on June 5th, 2011

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
12. I ordered 10 thru the local farm store and got two extra mystery chicks.

(3) What breeds do you have?

Well, hmmm. now that's a toss up. I ordered 5 Buff Orpington (straight run) and 5 Australorps(all pullets), but my "australorp" chicks have feathered out with white barring:/ so I'm thinking they are Plymoth Rocks or Cuckoo Marans, or ect . . . they have pale yellow legs with black shading. And only one of my BO are looking like a BO- the rest look like mutts of some sort- two looked like chipmunks when they were chicks so I kinda hope they are EE. We have yet to see what the sexes are. My two mystery chicks- one looks like a salmon favorelle and the other looks part BO but with white.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com? Oh gosh! how could I not find out about you? everytime I googled a query- whether it was the size I should make my coop door or when to start feeding grit, or how to identify my chipmunk chicks you guys came up. And I thought, if I am gonna take this on I'd better sign up
wink.png

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Gardening, books, trying to learn more spanish, some arabic, hebrew, french- I like language but I'm just not devoted enough to sit down and learn grammer. Cooking. i love world foods. Herbs, Tatting- altho I haven't had the spare time for that. Bollywood movies. I have a passing interest in funny gore films. BTW, did you know theres a movie called poultrygeist about zombie chickens?

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I have two "barn" cats, one tiny wiener dog named Bella, and a wonderful husband who has offered to build the coop & run. We have a half acer of land and are surrounded by corn and soybean fields (champaign county, IL). No kids yet- but hoping to have some little ones to chase the chickens soon.

Anyway, lurking on your boards has been so useful I had to finally join the fun! Hi Everyone!

welcome-byc.gif

Love your enthusiasm. Looking forward to hearing more from you on the forums.
ps...sorry about the 'mutts' but they can be just as lovable as the rest! I would, however, say something to the place you bought them from.

Yeah, I think I will mention it. When I thought it was just the BO that were a little mixed up, I wasn't too upset. After all, I DID get two free chickens and I don't have much experience with chickens so it would be fun to try out a few breeds. But now that my "australorps" have suddenly become a mystery too . . . The supply store didn't mention anything about subsitutions, but the hatchery they order from has it on their site that they reserve the right to subsitute unless you tell them no subsitutions. So I will tell the supply store that they should pass this info on to the customer. However . . .

Shouldn't they give you an idea what they subsituted? i mean, I'm sure they are another heavy dual purpose breed but I feel silly not having a clue what most of them are.
tongue.png
I feel more certain of my two free mystery chicks!

On the plus side, they are all really friendly and lots of fun to watch, and now I have a wild range of colors including a white one
smile.png

They will all still taste like chicken, right?
wink.png
(don't tell them I said that!)

welcome welcome.. this is the greatest place for knowlege, feeding our obsession of hatching eggs and raising feathered children as well as making great friends..

Great to have you join

Shelly

Back
Top Bottom