New-ish chicken mama

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

Yes it sounds like frost bite if the tip or tips only are effected. Fungus would effect the entire comb and face. Make sure to always keep vents open in the eaves no matter how cold it gets outside. The moisture that chickens produce need to escape out through the ceiling or it falls back down onto the birds giving them frostbite which is quite painful. Bagbalm will sooth and help to prevent future cases.

Welcome to our community!
Thank you. I thought it might be a bit of frost bite as well, but just wasn’t sure. It got down to -10 and the wind was blowing- they were out of the wind, and there was plenty of ventilation even with a tarp over the coop.

Thank you. I thought it might be a bit of frost bite as well, but just wasn’t sure. It got down to -10 and the wind was blowing- they were out of the wind, and there was plenty of ventilation even with a tarp over the coop.
Yes that's pretty cold. I would gently rub in some bagbalm onto the combs until the temps stay above 10. Be gentle on frost bite, it's very painful. If you don't have any bagbalm, vaseline will help but it's less effective for preventing frost bite than bagbalm.

Back
Top Bottom