New Jersey Newbie

rachelkay06

Hatching
Jul 13, 2016
Hello all! I'm new to chickens and to New Jersey. Very happy to have moved to such a chicken friendly area! I finally got my little flock started. I have 3 two-week old English Orpingtons and 2 eight-week old Easter Eggers. I got them from a nice local woman who said the Orpingtons are from her "silver laced project" lol so I'm excited to see what they eventually look like!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Wow, very nice coop and run!! I would however, replace that chicken wire with hardware cloth, just in case. Chicken wire is pretty flimsy. Coons, shunks other varmints can chew right through it, hawks can dive right through it, snakes, rats and mice can get through the holes. Even small wild birds can get through and you don't want them drinking or eating out of your birds dishes.

Anyway, enjoy your poultry adventures! If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Welcome to our roost! :)

[COLOR=333333]Hello there and welcome to BYC! [/COLOR][COLOR=333333]:frow [/COLOR]

Wow, very nice coop and run!! I would however, replace that chicken wire with hardware cloth, just in case. Chicken wire is pretty flimsy. Coons, shunks other varmints can chew right through it, hawks can dive right through it, snakes, rats and mice can get through the holes. Even small wild birds can get through and you don't want them drinking or eating out of your birds dishes. 

Anyway, enjoy your poultry adventures! If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Welcome to our roost! :)

Thank you! I was wondering if it should be reinforced. The top of the run is shingled roof. The bottom has no type of protection though and there's about a one inch gap by the back wheels. I like that it is move able, but my property backs to woodlands with plenty of wildlife... so I'm not sure if I should add something to the underneath or edges as well?

Quote: It's hard to say with tractors. I mean they do need to stay mobile but at the same time they do need protection from all angles. I would be more concerned about them at night than during the day. If there is something you could fashion to add additional protection along the bottom at night, that would help greatly. Of course if your coop itself is 100% predator proof, this isnt' such a big deal.

I am no expert on these tractors, you might post this question in our Coop and Run Construction forums for more help too... https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/9/coop-run-design-construction-maintenance

We even have a Tractor section in our Coop Pages section you might take a look at for any ideas... https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-tractors-mobile-chicken-coop-designs

Good luck! :)

Back
Top Bottom