New Jersey

Yeah. The only bird I'm worried about is my Silkie and EE. They can be kinda aggressive to others. Well, the EE is aggressive to my Silkie (they are always fighting for second hen. And the order often changes). However, I have seen the Silkie fight with every hen but my Orp, who is the gentle leader of the flock. She is like a figurehead kinda, while the Silkie is the deranged warlord! She only goes through flighty stages though.

Hey everyone!! I don't remember if I've asked you guys or not yet....
Do you know where I can buy river sand anywhere central jersey (I'm in Middletown area).
Hope y'all are doing great :)

Hey everyone!! I don't remember if I've asked you guys or not yet....
Do you know where I can buy river sand anywhere central jersey (I'm in Middletown area).
Hope y'all are doing great :)

there is a huge place called Gravel & Sand Co. On rt 34 in wall twp. It's right by Allaire Airport. We've used them a bunch of times and are great.

there is a huge place called Gravel & Sand Co. On rt 34 in wall twp. It's right by Allaire Airport. We've used them a bunch of times and are great.
They should have something suitable to use. I got contractor or natural sand, not sure, from my husbands place. I like it in the run, but it does freeze in winter. But I like it.

Yeah. The only bird I'm worried about is my Silkie and EE. They can be kinda aggressive to others. Well, the EE is aggressive to my Silkie (they are always fighting for second hen. And the order often changes). However, I have seen the Silkie fight with every hen but my Orp, who is the gentle leader of the flock. She is like a figurehead kinda, while the Silkie is the deranged warlord! She only goes through flighty stages though.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-adding-to-your-flock

i read this article the other night, not that i'm planning to get any more (hee hee) and thought it was pretty good. It pretty much says what njchix said but in detail. We had a really rough experience with the new girls we got from her in Jan but i think our coop was too small. We actually wound up giving her one of our girls that was really beating up one of our new ones. We recently got a second coop and the older two are separated from the younger three at night still but free range during the day.

I have to admit it was a stressful experience. Establishing the pecking order is torture. The girl we gave to njchixs pulled all of the leg feathers out of two of the new ones to where their legs were bleeding and tore a hole in the third ones thigh. I actually had to do little surgery on the kitchen table! All are healed, feathers have grown back, wounds are healed, and cinderella is happy at her her new home.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-adding-to-your-flock

i read this article the other night, not that i'm planning to get any more (hee hee) and thought it was pretty good. It pretty much says what njchix said but in detail. We had a really rough experience with the new girls we got from her in Jan but i think our coop was too small. We actually wound up giving her one of our girls that was really beating up one of our new ones. We recently got a second coop and the older two are separated from the younger three at night still but free range during the day.

I have to admit it was a stressful experience. Establishing the pecking order is torture. The girl we gave to njchixs pulled all of the leg feathers out of two of the new ones to where their legs were bleeding and tore a hole in the third ones thigh. I actually had to do little surgery on the kitchen table! All are healed, feathers have grown back, wounds are healed, and cinderella is happy at her her new home.
Yes it can be harder on us I think. I have to say I think Cinderella is happy. She had quite an attitude adjustment and seems very happy with her place now. I haven't noticed her pecking at anyone. I'm glad it has worked out for both of us.

I set almost four dozen eggs yesterday! They should hatch on the first day of spring, just in time for Easter. I'll probably keep a few and put the rest up for sale. Some are brown egg layer mixes, some EE's and possibly some pure bantam Cochins (hatchery quality though, but still cute!)

I set almost four dozen eggs yesterday! They should hatch on the first day of spring, just in time for Easter. I'll probably keep a few and put the rest up for sale. Some are brown egg layer mixes, some EE's and possibly some pure bantam Cochins (hatchery quality though, but still cute!)
The offer of more baby chicks
barnie.gif
must use self control.

Hahaha I know how that is! Depending on how many I get I may raise em until I can sex them and sell the pullets at the Sussex show in may. I'm hoping I get a good amount to hatch! My standard roo is a BIG Cochin and I haven't really seen him mating with the bigger girls. I know my Cochin bantam roo has been mating plenty with all of them, but not sure he has been able to get the big ones!

Back
Top Bottom