New Jersey

Hi everyone! What a week.... Some weird virus made its way thru our house this week. My youngest son is the last to get it starting this morning. It was a rough week!!! I feel like I barely saw my chickies at all this week. I spent a good amount of time with them today raking the yard of all the pollen strings. It was funny to watch them scratch at all the piles I was raking up. It was so windy though and they seemed really freaked out by the gusts. Every time there was a big gust they would jump and run about.

I brought my buff orpington in to work with me on Wed. One of the vet techs was doing a lesson for assistants on exotics and didn't have any birds to demonstrate restraint with so she asked if I would bring one of my girls in. Pretty Girl was the hit of the hospital for the day especially when she laid an egg in her cage. She was such a good girl and was so tolerant of all the attention.

The weather is supposed to better sun and Mon. Any plans?

Well maybe the wind blew the germs this way. Lol. I have one working a 102 fever now. We are doing yard work all weekend. Some big changes. Taking out the plants all along the one side of fence and replacing with a smaller bed (with stone so the chickens stop tearing it up) and putting in about 20 arborvitaes. Replacing all the mulch in the backyard with stone also. They are destroying all the beds with scratching. We will leave one in the back for them.

Too funny about her laying an egg. It's funny how people react to them when they've been eating eggs for years never giving it a thought. My one neighbor told me he would rather eat the store eggs than mine because it creeps him out eating the eggs from my chickens. I was like really? I guess too close to the food source for him.

Haha I know what you mean. My dad gasped in shock when I offered him eggs. Oh well, more for the rest of us. Yup, fever, body aches , vomiting, and lots of other wonderful things.

What bushes are you pulling up, the ones opposite the play area? Only negative thing about stones which is what we have edging our yard is that they scratch in them too. They kick them into the grass and then when my poor husband mows the lawn he does a number on his shins!

Our back"yard" is mostly concrete. We have a side yard, a garden, and some rock beds. The chickens always kick the rocks out onto the concrete and I have to sweep it... I couldn't even imagine getting the rocks in grass!

Haha I know what you mean. My dad gasped in shock when I offered him eggs. Oh well, more for the rest of us. Yup, fever, body aches , vomiting, and lots of other wonderful things.

What bushes are you pulling up, the ones opposite the play area? Only negative thing about stones which is what we have edging our yard is that they scratch in them too. They kick them into the grass and then when my poor husband mows the lawn he does a number on his shins!

Yes that whole row next to the neighbor with the pool. We're hoping by leaving them the one bed in the back by kennel they will use that for dust bathing. They scratch so much in the mulch everywhere that the beds have no definition after a couple weeks. Mulch is all over the lawn and that's a pain to rake. My walkway and pavers as you enter the backyard are stained from them scratching out the mulch from the raised bed. Plus we are tired of doing the mulch every year. If we change it to stone that will save us time and $ in the long run. Now I have to figure out a way to screen the coop from the other side of the fence. It's all stone.

HI I'm in Boonton Morris County and I'm building a chicken coop I'm planning on getting my chicks from Meyer hatchery do you think that's a good decision ??

I'm looking for Easter Egger or Olive Eggers, and Americaunas! Please PM me if you or if you know someone who is selling!!!

I'm looking for Easter Egger or Olive Eggers, and Americaunas! Please PM me if you or if you know someone who is selling!!!

I believe Kahlua has all of them. She's up in Hope. PM her, she'll hook you up. I only have OE & Marans right now and I think I'm a bit far for you. I do have some EE and a couple Ameraucana in about a week & 1/2.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom