New Jersey

She is very pretty. I keep mine separated for about a month with no contact. I also care for them after my main flock so I don't pass anything to them.
And wash hands after handling each.

She is very pretty. I keep mine separated for about a month with no contact. I also care for them after my main flock so I don't pass anything to them.
And wash hands after handling each.
Thanks, After researching a little and then seeing your post I realized what I was doing was a big big no no! So I made her a small makeshift ( safe and secure) run out of two dog crates. One covered traveling size and the other just an open wire dog crate connected door to door. I will keep her away for the other for 30 days and go from there. I now realized I really should have researched this more before I decided to bringing home a adult bird to add to add to the flock. I guess thats why they are called impulse buys right! ugggggg

I had just received a letter from the township but I don't understand it so here it is this is only the part about the chickens:

change in use (raising chickens on the property) also remove coop.

upon the effective date of this article , no building shall hereafter be used, erected , altered , converted ,enlarged , added to , moved or reduced , nor shall any lands be be subdivided ,developed ,in any manner except in conformity with the standards provided herein , as applied to the zoning district in which the building or land is located .

so if you guys can pliz tell me and my parents what this means and what we can do also how and why this affects us even though we have ben doing this for may years now . ? if you can and I promise I wont bother you again about this
Sounds to me that you are in violation of the ordinance and that someone just turned you in for it, it doesn't matter how long you have been doing it, unless you are covered by a grandfather clause, if you are in violation. That would be like me saying "but officer you can't ticket me for speeding today, because I have been doing it for years". Assuming you are not zoned for agriculture/farming use, you can probably apply for a variance in use to raise chickens and to have a structure that meets the "standards" in the ordinance, otherwise they can probably make trouble for you. You will not be able to fight it (keep your current situation) unless you can interpret the ordinance (which I attached some posts ago) to prove that you are in a zone that allows poultry (or at least doesn't explicitly prohibit it), and that your structure meets the "standards" (whatever they may be, since many sheds do not have a foundation, but still require a zoning permit to build). I would also look for the full ordinance since I couldn't find the full one online and could not find much regarding agricultural zoning in it. As many others have said, you must find out what "zone" you live in as it defines what you can and can't do on your property.

Last edited:
So I already have a new hen. I acquired, meaning my Grandmom bid at auction and I didn't stop her and she "made" me bring one home
( thats what I am telling my husband anyway)!! Well we thought they where Barred Rock chicks around the same age as my hens
(9 weeks). However when we got them out of the auction pen the guy handed us an egg, kinda cool they are already laying. Obviously this is a Barred Rock Bantams. Now I am worried about the age difference and the size difference, the other five will be much bigger then her when they are full grown. Will this become a problem? Also how long should I keep her separated?
Here are some not so great pictures of the little cutie.

Generally there's a two-week quarantine, then I put the dog cage in the coop with the other girls for another two weeks. A real PITA, with the checking of the individual food and water, but worth the precautions. I find the two weeks in the dog cage reduces the eventual fighting to a manageable level, because everyone gets used to the looks and sounds and movement of the new one. It's really funny to see the face-offs on either side of the bars! The size of the bird has little bearing - it's all about the attitude! After the two weeks, I start letting the new bird out during the day, and then check to see the reaction. You know how cranky everyone can get during bedtime, so sometimes it takes another week to give the cage up entirely. Still, I've never regretted doing it this way.

Thanks, After researching a little and then seeing your post I realized what I was doing was a big big no no! So I made her a small makeshift ( safe and secure) run out of two dog crates. One covered traveling size and the other just an open wire dog crate connected door to door. I will keep her away for the other for 30 days and go from there. I now realized I really should have researched  this more before I decided to bringing home a adult bird to add to add to the flock. I guess thats why they are called impulse buys right! ugggggg 

I try to buy 2 or 3 at a time so they have company and during that transition time they have a buddy to cuddle with as chickens are mean to a newcomer. I always feel so sorry for them.

Welcome!
welcome-byc.gif

You'll love it! I was a newbie to chickens -- getting our first three last March and I'm hooked! So I'm still pretty new, but I've learned so much from this site!

The people on this thread are great. But also read through the forums on the different topics and you'll find so much info! I researched chicks, coops, chicken care, breeds, etc. and learned more from this site than anywhere else.

If you have a specific question -- ask!

West Atlantic county,  interested in chickens. Newbies.  need chickens for dumbies.  Any advice would be great. Thanks

Welcome!! Yes, lots of good reading on this site. Also when you plan your coop/run build it bigger than what you think you will need. Of course, if your ordinance allows a restricted # then fine, but if not, just a warning- chickens are adicting. You'll want more.

Back
Top Bottom