New Jersey

My new chicks came in today - I had ordered 4 more to replace the 3 that didn't make it last week. One didn't make it. It was the Speckled Sussex. We were really looking forward to her coming. I give up - I'm not ordering any more, it's too heart breaking. We had actually ordered 3 extra because a friend of my husband wanted to order some chicks as well. One of the chicks isn't really very active. I really hope she makes it. The other 2 are getting along with the 3 week old chicks but she is kind of laying around. Should I be concerned or is she trying to adapt? She doesn't want to drink water. I'm sorry I seem to always seem to need help but I'm new at this and want to do everything right.
That's so sad. Sorry it happened again. Can you give the new ones a little Gatorade or sugar water. She may just need a jump. And don't apologize for asking questions, we're here for each other.
I'm all moved into my new apartment! Now I have about a month of just relax before classes start. My room mates seem really nice and the apartment is wonderful! Everyone has their own bathroom! That is such a huge plus! My one room mate has a cat and the other has a little dog. I think the cat (Pesco) approves of my bed! He hasn't left me alone since I moved in!
Good luck and I hope you have a great first year. And your new best friend is cute.

Just got a possible olive egger, a wheaten maran, a hamburg x Ameraucana cross, and 2 lakenvelder x Ameraucana crosses from Kahlua. All should be females, except for the OE- the little fluffball was not sexed :D

My new chicks came in today - I had ordered 4 more to replace the 3 that didn't make it last week.  One didn't make it.  It was the Speckled Sussex.   We were really looking forward to her coming.  I give up - I'm not ordering any more, it's too heart breaking.  We had actually ordered 3 extra because a friend of my husband wanted to order some chicks as well.  One of the chicks isn't really very active.  I really hope she makes it.  The other 2 are getting along with the 3 week old chicks but sIhe is kind of laying around.  Should I be concerned or is she trying to adapt?  She doesn't want to drink water. 

I'm sorry I seem to always seem to need help but I'm new at this and want to do everything right.

I would dip her beak in water with electrolites and vitamins. I would think that would help. Do it every couple of hours till she perks up. She probably got over heated with no water during shipping.

Quote: I was about to advise the same. Even though they see the others drinking, sometimes they need the extra push. I put Poultry Drench in the water to give them a bit of a jump start. I have chicks due on Saturday, but the eggs are the weirdest I've ever seen - the insides, I mean. I don't know what to expect. I was hoping for at least 18 - now I'd be happy with five. Sigh.

My new chicks came in today - I had ordered 4 more to replace the 3 that didn't make it last week.  One didn't make it.  It was the Speckled Sussex.   We were really looking forward to her coming.  I give up - I'm not ordering any more, it's too heart breaking.  We had actually ordered 3 extra because a friend of my husband wanted to order some chicks as well.  One of the chicks isn't really very active.  I really hope she makes it.  The other 2 are getting along with the 3 week old chicks but sIhe is kind of laying around.  Should I be concerned or is she trying to adapt?  She doesn't want to drink water. 

I'm sorry I seem to always seem to need help but I'm new at this and want to do everything right.

I would dip her beak in water with electrolites and vitamins. I would think that would help. Do it every couple of hours till she perks up. She probably got over heated with no water during shipping.

I was about to advise the same.  Even though they see the others drinking, sometimes they need the extra push.  I put Poultry Drench in the water to give them a bit of a jump start.  I have chicks due on Saturday, but the eggs are the weirdest I've ever seen - the insides, I mean.  I don't know what to expect.  I was hoping for at least 18 - now I'd be happy with five. Sigh.

Do you see them moving? I have eggs hatching today/tomorrow. Two are pipped but these egg are hard to see through. I hope more than not make it. Let us know.

Thanks for all the advice! She is moving around a bit more today. Yesterday her eyes were closed for most of the day - I pried them open not knowing if I should but she kept them open after that. This morning her eyes were open and she was watching the other chicks who, by the way, are all over the place. I called My Pet Chicken and explained what was going on - I was told sugar water as well and the yolk of a boiled egg. My husband has been nursing her until I get home from work. He said when she was alone she was active and trying to jump out of the box but when he put her back in the brooder she just sat still watching the others.

I have electrolytes from the first chicks we had so I will try that. I didn't know you can give chicks gatorade but now I do and I will definitely try it. I won't overdo it with her, I know she is a baby. I haven't seen her poop. If she poops that should be a good sign, right?

I wish everyone well with their new chicks - I hope you all hatch healthy and active chicks!!

Thanks for all the advice!  She is moving around a bit more today.   Yesterday her eyes were closed for most of the day - I pried them open not knowing if I should but she kept them open after that.  This morning her eyes were open and she was watching the other chicks who, by the way, are all over the place.  I called My Pet Chicken and explained what was going on - I was told sugar water as well and the yolk of a boiled egg.  My husband has been nursing her until I get home from work.  He said when she was alone she was active and trying to jump out of the box but when he put her back in the brooder she just sat still watching the others. 

I have electrolytes from the first chicks we had so I will try that.  I didn't know you can give chicks gatorade but now I do and I will definitely try it.  I won't overdo it with her, I know she is a baby.  I haven't seen her poop.  If she poops that should be a good sign, right?

I wish everyone well with their new chicks - I hope you all hatch healthy and active chicks!!

Gatorade if you don't have the chick electrolytes. But give her that. Also try some scrambles egg chopped real small. Make sure she doesn't have pasty butt. Otherwise your doing everything. She may have not handled the shipping so well that's all. Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom