New Jersey

I am sorry. I am a veterinary technician as well. It is very hard when despite all your best efforts a patient doesn't respond. Especially when that patient is a beloved pet. You gave her the best. She is lucky to have you as an owner.

well today is day 5 of gavage feeding and antibiotics. i actually thought she was looking a bit brighter yesterday but still not eating or drinking. today she looks bad again. hiding under coop, lethargic, etc... i just got in from gavage feeding her and giving her meds and her crop is filled with air. no liquid in the crop, just air. if i gently squeeze her crop i can force some of the air up like a burp. no sour smell or anything.

she's miserable. we're approaching a quality of life issue :( i'm so sad. i feel like since i'm in the veterinary field i should be able to do something but i just don't know what to do for her. ugh.

My sick chicken chillin on my lap. She is finally starting to eat. Yeah!

Thanks everyone. i saw her scratch around in the grass a bit today and pick at a few things. i don't think she's eating though. i also saw her take a drink. nothing to get my hopes up about though.

Thanks everyone. i saw her scratch around in the grass a bit today and pick at a few things. i don't think she's eating though. i also saw her take a drink. nothing to get my hopes up about though.

I'm so sorry. It's not easy to decide when they've reached their limit. Good luck.

Hey everyone. So sorry to hear about all the sick girls. I have a few from a spring hatch that are runts and not keeping up growth wise. Also my girls are not laying well. I was thinking its nutritional but I do feed purina. They are just too thin for me. They do free range and my girls now have two coops to spread out in. They are also all FBCMs that I'm having issues with. It's possible they just aren't bred of the heartiest stock. I've also decided to close my yard to visitors/buyers. I had too many people come through my yard and that wasn't very smart of me. The state is coming to test my flock and all my new hatches this spring will be vax for mareks.

Hey everyone. So sorry to hear about all the sick girls. I have a few from a spring hatch that are runts and not keeping up growth wise. Also my girls are not laying well. I was thinking its nutritional but I do feed purina. They are just too thin for me. They do free range and my girls now have two coops to spread out in. They are also all FBCMs that I'm having issues with. It's possible they just aren't bred of the heartiest stock. I've also decided to close my yard to visitors/buyers. I had too many people come through my yard and that wasn't very smart of me. The state is coming to test my flock and all my new hatches this spring will be vax for mareks.
x

My BCM girls are laying almost daily. They are the most consistent of my flock. And they are the funniest always helping me clean the coop.

Back
Top Bottom