New Jersey

These four will sit on the edge of the nesting box and wait for me to put them to bed one by one. Too funny. They are almost four months old.

hey everyone its been a while. I've noticed over this past week that one of my girl, (my favorite of course) has been acting sort of sluggish. She almost looks like she's starting to fall asleep standing up. Today i sat with them for a bit and i noticed pretty quick that she's not doing well.

she's standing away from the group. not moving around much, and keeps her head tucked in so it makes her look like she has an enormous bulge by her throat. It's not her crop and i don't think she has a blockage in it. the bulge is actually her neck. she has her head so tucked down that her actual neck snakes forward. i know it sounds crazy but it almost feels like her neck is too long for her body! when i palpate her neck she closes her eyes and falls asleep. worst part is that when i'm holding her i can hear her stomach growling. i tried to hand feed her a variety and she really wants to eat it but can't. the curve of her neck and posture is pretty bizarre.

if she's the same or worse tomorrow i'm bringing her to my hospital to euthanize her. i don't want her to suffer and starving to death is torture.

anyone ever see anything like this?

hey everyone its been a while. I've noticed over this past week that one of my girl, (my favorite of course) has been acting sort of sluggish. She almost looks like she's starting to fall asleep standing up. Today i sat with them for a bit and i noticed pretty quick that she's not doing well.

she's standing away from the group. not moving around much, and keeps her head tucked in so it makes her look like she has an enormous bulge by her throat. It's not her crop and i don't think she has a blockage in it. the bulge is actually her neck. she has her head so tucked down that her actual neck snakes forward. i know it sounds crazy but it almost feels like her neck is too long for her body! when i palpate her neck she closes her eyes and falls asleep. worst part is that when i'm holding her i can hear her stomach growling. i tried to hand feed her a variety and she really wants to eat it but can't. the curve of her neck and posture is pretty bizarre.

if she's the same or worse tomorrow i'm bringing her to my hospital to euthanize her. i don't want her to suffer and starving to death is torture.

anyone ever see anything like this?

No I've never seen anything like that. How about a vet? I would try that before heading her put down. Maybe there is something they can do for her.

That's my plan. i work at a vet hospital so she's coming with me tomorrow. i'll do some radiographs just to see if anything catches my eye. i've been able to syringe feed her 3 tsp of a slurry today which she tolerated but her behavior is the same. its awful to watch.

I have seen behavior like this, and unfortunately it has never turned out well for me. It seems by the time they're showing symptoms like those you describe, it's already too late. You're doing the right thing.

I have one that shows those symptoms one day, then pops back up the next. Every time I resign myself to putting her down, she gets up again. Very frustrating.

its so frustrating! i brought her to work with me today and took a bunch of xrays. our radiologist looked at them and sent them to Penn to have one of their radiologists look at them who works a lot with birds. the common opinion is either a blockage or inflammation in her intestines. she's completely empty with a lot of gas filled bowel loops which can be indicative in either situation. so........

before i euthanized her i decided to give her a few more days. i brought home a special diet for hand feeding birds and a syringe to gavage feed her. if she's blocked the food won't pass and she'll bring it back up. i also brought home antibiotics incase its inflammation. if she's blocked she'll get worse. if its an infection she should get better.

i syringe fed her a few tsp of food yesterday and today she actually pooped with a small amount of stool in it (and not just white urine). that could be a sign that maybe its inflammation but don't want to get my hopes up.

time will tell.....

well today is day 5 of gavage feeding and antibiotics. i actually thought she was looking a bit brighter yesterday but still not eating or drinking. today she looks bad again. hiding under coop, lethargic, etc... i just got in from gavage feeding her and giving her meds and her crop is filled with air. no liquid in the crop, just air. if i gently squeeze her crop i can force some of the air up like a burp. no sour smell or anything.

she's miserable. we're approaching a quality of life issue :( i'm so sad. i feel like since i'm in the veterinary field i should be able to do something but i just don't know what to do for her. ugh.

Last edited:
well today is day 5 of gavage feeding and antibiotics. i actually thought she was looking a bit brighter yesterday but still not eating or drinking. today she looks bad again. hiding under coop, lethargic, etc... i just got in from gavage feeding her and giving her meds and her crop is filled with air. no liquid in the crop, just air. if i gently squeeze her crop i can force some of the air up like a burp. no sour smell or anything.

she's miserable. we're approaching a quality of life issue
sad.png
i'm so sad. i feel like since i'm in the veterinary field i should be able to do something but i just don't know what to do for her. ugh.

Awww... sorry to hear that she still hasn't improved. You tried and gave it your best to make her better. Just love her till the end. She'll know you did everything for her.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom