New Jersey

I just called TSC in Flemington because I so wanted silkies but they do not have any.  They have a tub of assorted bantams but could not determine what type.  They just said they were of popular breeds.  Washington TSC only has Red Comets right now and Flanders TSC has White Leghorns, White Plymouth Rocks, Cornish Rock, Buff Orpingtons, Red Comet, Ameraucana's and assorted bantams of undetermined breeds.

I know better than to say I will not get any this year.  I get some every spring for the last few years.  Good thing I built a large coop.  Hubby thought the coop was too big for 8 girls, then I added 6 more, found homes for the 2 boys I ended up with and by my calculations of 5 sq ft per hen for indoor space I could get 8 more and still have room....:D

Jersey Chickens has silkies. She's open on the weekend.

Last edited:
Someone talk some sense into me. The TSC in sussex has khaki campbell ducklings and you only need to buy 2... I will not go back to get them... I won't. I am not set up for ducks, but they are so cute!

Someone talk some sense into me. The TSC in sussex has khaki campbell ducklings and you only need to buy 2... I will not go back to get them... I won't. I am not set up for ducks, but they are so cute!

Ive seen them in there too and my mom keeps talking about getting ducks... I had seen they.had assorted ducks but the.chocolate colored ones are the khaki campells?

Meanwhile, in Middletown,

Keeping chickens occupied: This winter, I had the smarts to wrap the run in plastic to keep out the tons of snow, but it left the flock with little to do other than stare at each other. I have a "playpen," seen the the second picture, where I keep leaves & straw for them to play in, and where I throw compostable material during the year, but they needed more. I got an extra bale of hay, and put about half the bale on the far side of the run along with some of the extra leaves I collected before the first snow. In two days, they had shredded the hay all apart, and now they have a big area to play in. I throw in some scratch every morning, and they dig and dance in there for hours! Normally, this area is swept hard-packed dirt, but they're getting cabin fever. They really enjoy it, and it makes them spread out all over the run - and away from each other for awhile! It's about six inches deep over there.

The playpen is a great spot for them to dig all year, and allows me to give them a place to make a mess, while keeping the rest of the run nice and clean. Sometimes I find ten-inch holes in there! Plus, the compost I get out of the bottom is amazing, because that's where I throw all the collards and kale that they get, as well as the watermelon and pumpkin rinds - anything compostable. Before I built this, it was terrible keeping the run clean. Now, I only have to sweep up the little bit that they spray out every couple of days - makes it much easier for me! It's so funny to see them perch on the bar, and then jump down into all the fun!

Last edited:
Sorry, I also have to show off my Sophie. It's so rare to get a non-fuzzy picture of her - or any of them! - because they're always moving. (She's annoyed because I was taking her picture - hence the stance.)

Thanks Gail328 and dwgov on the silkie update! Not sure where I stand on silkies this year. I know I have always wanted the little fuzzy critters.....I may make a journey or then again, playing mix and match bantams could be fun. I like surprises - except for little Roo surprises. I have nothing against roosters - hubby has an aversion to their manly call at all hours. The last one I had was such a noise maker and me and "Buttercup (yes that was his girlie name before he crowed) had a come to Jesus meeting twice before I brought him to the farm where I got him as a chick (they take back roos).

Meanwhile, in Middletown, Keeping chickens occupied: This winter, I had the smarts to wrap the run in plastic to keep out the tons of snow, but it left the flock with little to do other than stare at each other. I have a "playpen," seen the the second picture, where I keep leaves & straw for them to play in, and where I throw compostable material during the year, but they needed more. I got an extra bale of hay, and put about half the bale on the far side of the run along with some of the extra leaves I collected before the first snow. In two days, they had shredded the hay all apart, and now they have a big area to play in. I throw in some scratch every morning, and they dig and dance in there for hours! Normally, this area is swept hard-packed dirt, but they're getting cabin fever. They really enjoy it, and it makes them spread out all over the run - and away from each other for awhile! It's about six inches deep over there. The playpen is a great spot for them to dig all year, and allows me to give them a place to make a mess, while keeping the rest of the run nice and clean. Sometimes I find ten-inch holes in there! Plus, the compost I get out of the bottom is amazing, because that's where I throw all the collards and kale that they get, as well as the watermelon and pumpkin rinds - anything compostable. Before I built this, it was terrible keeping the run clean. Now, I only have to sweep up the little bit that they spray out every couple of days - makes it much easier for me! It's so funny to see them perch on the bar, and then jump down into all the fun! Love that playpen idea. Is it in the front section by the beautiful hostas or closer to the house?

Ive seen them in there too and my mom keeps talking about getting ducks... I had seen they.had assorted ducks but the.chocolate colored ones are the khaki campells?
I am no duck expert, but I am pretty sure that those chocolate colored ones are Khaki Campbells. I have no idea if the males and females can be told apart without vent sexing, so I think I will just order a pair sexed. Someone suggested that the light ones are female and the darker ducklings are males, but I am not so sure about that. Maybe someone with ducks can chime in. I am torn between Harlequins and Campbells. I understand the Harlequins are very calm and the campbells can be on the nervous side.

Meanwhile, in Middletown,

Keeping chickens occupied: This winter, I had the smarts to wrap the run in plastic to keep out the tons of snow, but it left the flock with little to do other than stare at each other. I have a "playpen," seen the the second picture, where I keep leaves & straw for them to play in, and where I throw compostable material during the year, but they needed more. I got an extra bale of hay, and put about half the bale on the far side of the run along with some of the extra leaves I collected before the first snow. In two days, they had shredded the hay all apart, and now they have a big area to play in. I throw in some scratch every morning, and they dig and dance in there for hours! Normally, this area is swept hard-packed dirt, but they're getting cabin fever. They really enjoy it, and it makes them spread out all over the run - and away from each other for awhile! It's about six inches deep over there.

Nice playpen/run idea! I just love that little rooster of yours surrounded by all those huge fluffy hens!

Back
Top Bottom