New Jersey

Still in the tub. Now they are 7 weeks.

We are all insane Mary. Those are splash partridge and blue partridge. Not sure on the sex. Love them. I got them from Sally Sunshine in pa about 2 hours away. I also got 5 seramas and 6 crested cream legbars from her. Fifteen chicks in my kitchen and dining room. There about 7 or 8 weeks old now. Hoping to get them outside by Friday. Watching the weather closely. And can't forget the three ducklings live in my bathroom tub. Lol

Quote:
These are the eggs I got awhile back from Dana Poultry, when she had extra that were going to go to waste, and she caught me in a moment of weakness. I have thirteen. I have people willing to take the boys, or most of them. Have to see what they turn out to be. So far, except for one, all of the feathers look the same! But, it's only been a week. You're never REALLY sure 'till the shoulder feathers come in, at about 3-4 weeks. I'll let you know. Gonna try and keep all the girls that I can, and I have another friend I said could have a couple, but I may have a couple left.

These are the eggs I got awhile back from Dana Poultry, when she had extra that were going to go to waste, and she caught me in a moment of weakness. I have thirteen. I have people willing to take the boys, or most of them. Have to see what they turn out to be. So far, except for one, all of the feathers look the same! But, it's only been a week. You're never REALLY sure 'till the shoulder feathers come in, at about 3-4 weeks. I'll let you know. Gonna try and keep all the girls that I can, and I have another friend I said could have a couple, but I may have a couple left.
Well, I certainly don't need anymore... lol. So, only if you don't have other homes. I have 42 eggs going in on saturday for the HAL and 3 dozen coming this late this spring, and chicks in the mail next month. Yikes!

Hi Ann,

I live in long branch too! Just picked up 6 chicks and in process of building the coop! So exciting... Where do you live and any issues from the town? I read the town ordinances and no mention of not being able to have them.. Have you spoken to anyone or received any feedback/issues?

Thank
Joe

Thank you for rescuing her - so kind of you and your husband.
You should keep her separated for a little while to make sure she's not sick (and thus possibly contaminating your others). This will give her a chance to adjust to so much newness and to build her strength. It may be best if they can see each other but not make contact for awhile, so they all acclimate. It can be very bad when a lone hen joins a flock, if they decide to be mean to her to put her in her place. This will have to be monitored extremely carefully for awhile when the time comes. All sorts of posts here on BYC about how to best introduce. Perhaps someone reading this can point you to the best of these.
Please keep us posted. Thank you again
smile.png
JJ

Hi JJ,

I just wanted to give you an update on Dee Dee. My husband goes to Dunkin Donuts every morning but usually via the drive thru. Since finding Dee Dee he has gone inside and talks to a few regulars. A USDA inspector happened to overhear him talking about finding Dee Dee and told him there is a "poultry farm" a few miles up the road in the next town. He said he witnessed a crate of chickens fall off the back of a truck once. He said there is a good chance Dee Dee was on one of those trucks and if she was it was because her egg laying days are over. If this is the case I'm so glad we found her and able to give her a proper home - it doesn't matter if she never lays another egg - she is now our pet. Thinking back to the first night we had her she didn't know to go into her house, she just fell asleep perched outside. When I went to lock them up for the night I had to put her inside. She has gone in on her own since that time.

Sunday will be two weeks since she was found. She has been kept separate and even had her first bath. I did find some fleas on her but not very many. While she was being blow dried a few of them crawled up onto her comb. She isn't missing any feathers and her skin is pink. She is very active and has just started talking to me in the mornings. I guess I should wait one more week before trying to introduce her to the rest of the flock?

I have attached some pictures of Dee Dee before and after. I also attached a picture of her house next to the larger coop.

Back
Top Bottom