New Jersey

Mame,

I see that you have strong feelings about this subject, but I have to respectfully disagree with you on all counts. I am very sorry you have had bad experiences with this breed, but my experience has been very much the opposite. I have seen these birds both at polyface farms in Virginia and at chicken thistle farms in upstate NY and I cannot say that I saw what you saw in your experience. I have debated for several months on this venture that I plan to embark upon and I take it very seriously; that is why it has taken me so long to make up my mind about it. My first experience was at Polyface farms this past summer and I can't say that I saw any frightening Frankenbirds as you called them. I respect what you wrote and do not doubt that the birds you saw we're not the healthiest specimens, but from what I have been told and what I have read the consensus is that these birds were not raised properly and that is why they displayed the symptoms you described. First of all, people who breed Therese birds do offer specific instructions on how to care for them, and when people follow these instructions the birds do just fine. Things like only giving them feed for 12 hours of the day so they are forced to find something else to do when there is no feed available; maybe they'd might even forage. Something else that I heard from the Chicken thistle farmer was that they introduce clover and other grasses in the brooder so the birds are not completely lost when they are put out to pasture. This is a hybrid bird that maybe needs some help learning how to do things; it's not a heritage bird with strong instincts and needs some help along the way. Maybe that is the cruelty; to raise a hybrid bird and not acknowledge the fact that it might need some extra help because it's not like the heritage birds that we have laying our eggs. I think the responsibility lies with the farmer or homesteader and not the breeder. The breeder is filling a need or a demand from the consumer. It is the consumers responsibility to understand what they are getting and to treat it accordingly. The hardships that were imposed on the birds you saw were imposed by the farmer who raised them not the breeder. I can say so, because I have seen the exact opposite scenario with the same birds.

We obviously have a difference of opinion, but I assure you that I am not looking to make any animal suffer. I have found a supplier for the birds and will be purchasing them this weekend. It will be an experiment we can all learn from. I will post pictures and keep a log so everyone can judge for themselves what they think of the Cornish X. Also, if anyone is interested Shaefer farms Agway in flemington nj does have Cornish X chicks.

Callmechef

Mame,

I see that you have strong feelings about this subject, but I have to respectfully disagree with you on all counts. I am very sorry you have had bad experiences with this breed, but my experience has been very much the opposite. I have seen these birds both at polyface farms in Virginia and at chicken thistle farms in upstate NY and I cannot say that I saw what you saw in your experience. I have debated for several months on this venture that I plan to embark upon and I take it very seriously; that is why it has taken me so long to make up my mind about it. My first experience was at Polyface farms this past summer and I can't say that I saw any frightening Frankenbirds as you called them. I respect what you wrote and do not doubt that the birds you saw we're not the healthiest specimens, but from what I have been told and what I have read the consensus is that these birds were not raised properly and that is why they displayed the symptoms you described. First of all, people who breed Therese birds do offer specific instructions on how to care for them, and when people follow these instructions the birds do just fine. Things like only giving them feed for 12 hours of the day so they are forced to find something else to do when there is no feed available; maybe they'd might even forage. Something else that I heard from the Chicken thistle farmer was that they introduce clover and other grasses in the brooder so the birds are not completely lost when they are put out to pasture. This is a hybrid bird that maybe needs some help learning how to do things; it's not a heritage bird with strong instincts and needs some help along the way. Maybe that is the cruelty; to raise a hybrid bird and not acknowledge the fact that it might need some extra help because it's not like the heritage birds that we have laying our eggs. I think the responsibility lies with the farmer or homesteader and not the breeder. The breeder is filling a need or a demand from the consumer. It is the consumers responsibility to understand what they are getting and to treat it accordingly. The hardships that were imposed on the birds you saw were imposed by the farmer who raised them not the breeder. I can say so, because I have seen the exact opposite scenario with the same birds.

We obviously have a difference of opinion, but I assure you that I am not looking to make any animal suffer. I have found a supplier for the birds and will be purchasing them this weekend. It will be an experiment we can all learn from. I will post pictures and keep a log so everyone can judge for themselves what they think of the Cornish X. Also, if anyone is interested Shaefer farms Agway in flemington nj does have Cornish X chicks.

Callmechef

If you have different experiences, then I believe what you say you saw. I do know that the person raising these birds is one of the most responsible chicken keepers I have met, so I don't agree with you on that point.

I wish you luck in your venture.

~~Schaefer farms is five minutes from our house. I never purchased chicks from them, but I know many people who have. When my kids were little we would go there all the time as they have a little petting zoo type area set up with a big sandbox and toys. They do an AMAZING haunted hayride in the fall. I didn't realize they carry the Cornish X. Don't forget to post pictures when you get them! If you are out that way and continue north on 523 there is a really cool bison farm on the left couple miles down. They sell bison products during the weekends, and it is fun to check out.

I've had similar experience with meat birds (turkeys) in that they are messy and stinky and tend to have issues. I would clean and clean and they would always make a mess. I can't say I missed them much when I sent them off to slaughter! Dang things were pretty friendly though...

I think if you butcher at the right time, the problems can be minimized. My normal suggestion is to slaughter the ones that start to show leg issues early and keep them for fryers. I know during the summer people tend to lose more to heart related issues because of the heat, so it's definitely better to do them in the spring or closer to fall.

If you want something that can tolerate the heat a bit more and will be around a bit longer, there are lots of great dual purpose breeds perfect for eating as well. I believe cackle has some great specials and you can get super cheap roosters to raise for meat.

You definitely have an increased risk of issues with Cornish X birds, but I think that's just to be expected when dealing with them. What really rubs me the wrong way is when people try to "save" this hybrid from slaughter. These birds are not built to sustain life past 8 to 10 weeks at the most.

Hello everyone!

I'm new here but have been lurking for a few days. I'm getting my first chicks at the end of this week and I'm very excited! I've ordered 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Red Stars, 1 Rhode Island Red and 1 Barred Plymouth Rock. I really wanted to get a White Silkie since my dad grew up with them but wasn't able to find a place that could ship just 1.

I live in Edison, NJ and it's been quite difficult to find supplies locally, it doesn't seem there are any feed stores in Central Jersey. I don't like to drive on the highways so that also hinders me a bit.

If anyone can let me know about any feed stores or places that sell chick/chicken food and supplies by me, I'd greatly appreciate it! Any Central Jersey/Middlesex County resources/information for Chickens would be a great help, I can't seem to find very much locally and am thinking about buying most things online which is more expensive.

Also, this isn't for quite some time but since it does eventually need to be addressed, are there any butchers or chicken processors by me?

Lastly, any local Chicken enthusiast meetups? :)

Thanks so much!

- Zaj

I travel about 20 miles to go to Tractor Supply for some supplies like pine shavings and feed because it is much cheaper than local stores. Look up which one is close to you, there is one in Flanders on 206N. Light objects like feeders and such are cheaper on Amazon!

Zaj,

You have two choicest at I know of. You can try somerset grain and feed in Bernard's township, or you can try Schaefer farms agway in flemington nj. As far as processing why would you want anyone but you processing your animals? If you're not up to I'm sure someone on the forum could help.

Raul.

Hello everyone!

I'm new here but have been lurking for a few days. I'm getting my first chicks at the end of this week and I'm very excited! I've ordered 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Red Stars, 1 Rhode Island Red and 1 Barred Plymouth Rock. I really wanted to get a White Silkie since my dad grew up with them but wasn't able to find a place that could ship just 1.

I live in Edison, NJ and it's been quite difficult to find supplies locally, it doesn't seem there are any feed stores in Central Jersey. I don't like to drive on the highways so that also hinders me a bit.

If anyone can let me know about any feed stores or places that sell chick/chicken food and supplies by me, I'd greatly appreciate it! Any Central Jersey/Middlesex County resources/information for Chickens would be a great help, I can't seem to find very much locally and am thinking about buying most things online which is more expensive.

Also, this isn't for quite some time but since it does eventually need to be addressed, are there any butchers or chicken processors by me?

Lastly, any local Chicken enthusiast meetups? :)

Thanks so much!

- Zaj

Wow - you are really in a chicken supply desert! I couldn't find any local feed stores near you. The closest Tractor Supply is in Ringoes, out towards Flemington. After that, Allentown, off Rt. 95, then Flanders. You're going to have to make bulk trips, and just stock up when you go. That's what I do. BUT - call ahead and place an order! The TSC in Allentown, which is about 40 minutes from me, is not reliable at having my supplies when I go, so I have to call ahead. It's too long a trip to get there and they don't have what you need. Try to find a horse supplier near you - they usually will carry Purina products. You may have to place an oder for the food, but at the very least, you can get your shavings. Other than that, you may have to settle for ordering your food.

There's only one poultry club left in NJ now - in Sussex County. We meet once a month, and our Annual Spring Show is coming up next month, on May 17th.

Other than that, someone on here needs to host a Chickenstock for NJ!

PS - I may have found one close to you - Nischwitz & Co. - South Plainfield. You'll have to call.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, thanks so much for the tips and locations, it's greatly appreciated!!

Thanks Mame, I'll try calling them tomorrow. Yeah, not much by where I am and since I'm a 'chicken' at driving on the highways my options are kind of limited. I am happy though that we are allowed to keep chickens though! :)

Hello Raul, I would like to have my chickens humanely processed in the future but I couldn't do it myself. For example, I love lobster but I won't even buy it at the supermarket because I don't have the heart to kill them myself. I'm just tender-hearted/weak like that. However, I did do some googling and I think I may have found a local option, I'll have to give them a call in the future. It's a local halal place that sells live poultry. But we'll see when the time comes. If I get too attached, they may just end up to be pets. :)

Just dropping a quick note to say hello, new forum member and I live in Montville in Morris county NJ. Hoping to set up a coop and getting some chicks within a year after some planning etc. we want to get eggs and show mour 2 young boys how to respect and care for animals, they love all types already :)

With the winters here I assume I should plan on running electricity to the coop for heat or lamps? I was planning on a garden shed and coop combination so electricity would come in handy for both sides

How many chickens should we plan for if we want say 8 eights per day? What's a good guide for number of nest boxes and sq ft of coop and run for that same number of chickens?

Thanks!

Brent

Back
Top Bottom