New Jersey

Hey everyone. I'm in Monmouth County, and we're in the process of building a coop now. Any suggestions on where to get pullets locally? Someone told me about ordering them online at Murray McMurray Hatchery, but figured I'd check to see if there was something reputable closer.

Thanks!
There was a chicken show today in Ocean county, and I'll bet there was somebody selling pullets there. You can also come up to Sussex on May 17 for the poultry show, as somebody is bound to be selling chickens there too!

There was a chicken show today in Ocean county, and I'll bet there was somebody selling pullets there.  You can also come up to Sussex on May 17 for the poultry show, as somebody is bound to be selling chickens there too!

Ocean County is so close to us, but our coop isn't finished being built yet. Hopefully by next weekend. And my twin's birthday party is the day of the Sussex show. :(

Hey everyone. I'm in Monmouth County, and we're in the process of building a coop now. Any suggestions on where to get pullets locally? Someone told me about ordering them online at Murray McMurray Hatchery, but figured I'd check to see if there was something reputable closer.

Thanks!

Yay! More Monmouth County! I'm across the county from you, in Middletown. You're lucky to live so close to Agway, and Tractor Supply!

It's a little early in the year for started pullets, but as you're not finished your coop yet, you still have time. There's a great swap coming up in Sharpsburg, Maryland, on June 18th, where they sell a ton of birds! Other than that, you may have to wait for the fall.

I checked with Agway, but they only sell chicks. Jerseychickens in Jackson has started pullets, but they vary from week to week and sell quickly. The coop should be done by next weekend at the latest (fingers crossed). We can take our chances and try to get them from Jerseychickens the following week, but they may not have what we want or they may not have anything at all. We can order from Murray McMurray at that point, but the slotted delivery as of yesterday is already June... I hate to pay more in shipping than the cost of the actual birds, but...

I have some chicks for sale that I can tell that there are some pullets in there. Are you looking for bantams or large fowl?
We were looking for: Rhode Island Reds, Buff Orphingtons, Delawares, and/or Austrolorps. We're looking for good egg layers, that are somewhat docile (we have 3 small kids), that can handle heat and NJ winters.

I checked with Agway, but they only sell chicks. Jerseychickens in Jackson has started pullets, but they vary from week to week and sell quickly. The coop should be done by next weekend at the latest (fingers crossed). We can take our chances and try to get them from Jerseychickens the following week, but they may not have what we want or they may not have anything at all. We can order from Murray McMurray at that point, but the slotted delivery as of yesterday is already June... I hate to pay more in shipping than the cost of the actual birds, but...
Did you not just read what I said about jersey chickens?

Yes, I did! We're not getting them there. We decided to get them from Murray McMurry's. I wish we were able to do the show in Sussex in May. That would've been perfect.
. Didn't mean to come off mean wish I know I just did but I want you to get the healthy chickens you deserve. I think I was looking at a previous post so my apologies and best of luck to you in your chicken quest

I understand that it can be hard to wait, but I urge you not to rush in finding the breeds you've decided you really want. The birds are out there - it's just a matter of finding them. Get on the threads for those breeds here on BYC, or look for the breed club web pages on the web. Once the breeders have decoded on the birds they are keeping from the spring hatch, there will be plenty of pet quality pullets available. Don't settle! Almost everything available out there right now will be chicks - it's too early in the year for point-of-lay.

Back
Top Bottom