New Jersey

Went over to see Bruce ( jersey chickens) today. TONS of chicks and ducklings galore. I picked up a cinnamon queen,two speckled sussex and a light brahma. Feels great to have chicks again and a nice spring day (weather wise). Warm weather is upon us soon and I'm now being "papa" to some new chicks again.(Now if I could just keep the kids from playing with them too much as always
roll.png
)
Off the top of my head on what I can recall... he's got the above mentioned, Rhode Island Reds,Buff Orpingtons,D'uccles,Barred Rocks,Australorps,Cayuga ducklings,and all kinds of assorted bantams.Must be a few hundred chicks all happy and cuddling.My 2 old Ameraucana roo's are still there also. I gave them this whistle I always called them and my hens with and they turned their heads so quick I thought their necks would snap and crowed.
sad.png
They definitely remember me and my daughters. Neighbors suck sometimes....

My eggs go into lockdown on Tuesday!
wee.gif

It's really hard to see into the wheaten marans eggs, they are very dark, but the last time I candled I was pretty confident that lots of them looked good. Only two of the OE eggs developed at all - and I have about 6 or 8 EE eggs, and maybe 8-10 silkie/showgirl eggs that look good. I will candle before lockdown to get a better headcount.
I did stick five more OE eggs in the bator on the 3rd, since only two of the original batch developed. I candled a few days in, two were definitely developing, two were maybes. I'll candle again tonight.

I am way up in North NJ, but my husband will be in Cream Ridge NJ on St. Patty's Day. It looks like it's right between Jackson and Trenton. It would save those in south NJ about an hour and a half each way...

I asked if he'd mind bringing the chicks down if anyone wanted to meet him there - he said that's not a problem, so that's an option if anyone wants to save some driving. I won't be with him but you could always call with any questions. I'll color code/band the chicks as they hatch so they are easy to ID.

My eggs go into lockdown on Tuesday!
wee.gif

It's really hard to see into the wheaten marans eggs, they are very dark, but the last time I candled I was pretty confident that lots of them looked good. Only two of the OE eggs developed at all - and I have about 6 or 8 EE eggs, and maybe 8-10 silkie/showgirl eggs that look good. I will candle before lockdown to get a better headcount.
I did stick five more OE eggs in the bator on the 3rd, since only two of the original batch developed. I candled a few days in, two were definitely developing, two were maybes. I'll candle again tonight.

I am way up in North NJ, but my husband will be in Cream Ridge NJ on St. Patty's Day. It looks like it's right between Jackson and Trenton. It would save those in south NJ about an hour and a half each way...

I asked if he'd mind bringing the chicks down if anyone wanted to meet him there - he said that's not a problem, so that's an option if anyone wants to save some driving. I won't be with him but you could always call with any questions. I'll color code/band the chicks as they hatch so they are easy to ID.
Fingers crossed! I'm so excited. Keep us posted. And the offer of you hubby driving them down is awesome. Cream ridge is less than two miles from me. Would save me gas! Thank you for that. Let me know after hatch what will be available for me to choose from and $, you can PM me.

Went over to see Bruce ( jersey chickens) today. TONS of chicks and ducklings galore. I picked up a cinnamon queen,two speckled sussex and a light brahma. Feels great to have chicks again and a nice spring day (weather wise). Warm weather is upon us soon and I'm now being "papa" to some new chicks again.(Now if I could just keep the kids from playing with them too much as always
roll.png
)
Off the top of my head on what I can recall... he's got the above mentioned, Rhode Island Reds,Buff Orpingtons,D'uccles,Barred Rocks,Australorps,Cayuga ducklings,and all kinds of assorted bantams.Must be a few hundred chicks all happy and cuddling.My 2 old Ameraucana roo's are still there also. I gave them this whistle I always called them and my hens with and they turned their heads so quick I thought their necks would snap and crowed.
sad.png
They definitely remember me and my daughters. Neighbors suck sometimes....
Neighbors do take some of the fun out don't they. I had to sell many roosters. I do have two now and may keep one. Where are you, are you allowed? I am just trying to be nice to my neighbors. Good luck with the babies, and I only have to worry about myself holding them too much not my kids. Lol.

Last edited:
Neighbors do take some of the fun out don't they. I had to sell many roosters. I do have two now and may keep one. Where are you, are you allowed? I am just trying to be nice to my neighbors. Good luck with the babies, and I only have to worry about myself holding them too much not my kids. Lol.
I'm in Monroe Twp. My neighbors didn't exactly complain or call but I was getting people staring over and pointing etc when they kept crowing.My 2 closest neighbors don't care at all but I figured why wait and then lose the whole flock.It was only a matter of time. I do know a few farms around me have chickens but according to this sight I am not allowed.With that being said, I never much cared for rules and zoning crap etc...
I think it is RIDICULOUS to tell people you cannot have chickens when dogs(mine and the neighbors around me included) are way louder when they're barking and will bite or attack people
(as they should) if you needed them to protect your family etc.
Chickens give you breakfast daily and of course add flavor to everything from baking cakes to meatloaf etc.When I looked up why people do not want chickens around its completely absurd what people think and how ignorant they are. On some town opinion blog or something they were basically saying where there is hens there is roo's so we cant approve it because of the noise.But that was being said as in"you cant have hens and eggs without roosters".duh... and how they stink and all this other crap. My chicken coop pretty much never stinks.If anything you smell hay/straw not poop.
Personally I wouldn't kill my egg layers,ever,unless it was to help them in some emergency case where they were in pain.I do not keep meat birds either but with the way the world is and if God forbid something happened in a "SHTF" scenario at least I would have eggs for my family and well...
But now I am rambling here...but its just not normal in my opinion for people to NOT have chickens. You have awesome loving animals that will eat bugs like ticks,fleas and other pests in your lawn/garden etc. and they give you food. It just makes perfect sense.Which is why everyone in America in the "old days" had them. And at least we know what we are eating when we eat our own chickens eggs.God only knows what poisons are in store bought eggs.
Anyway, I guess I am preaching to the choir here so i'll stop.
Have a wonderful and blessed day...

Oh i'm so sorry njchix! I know how hard you tried to save her and how much you love your girls. Which helped you feel better, the cocktail or chocolate strawberries?

Back
Top Bottom