New Jersey

Thanks Shadow, Jackson is definitely worth traveling to. Anywhere within 3 hours, really. One really cool place to go to see some beautiful birds on display is Well-Sweep Herb Farm in Port Murray. Cy keeps only one type of bird (Onagadori) and they aren't for sale, but he's a really interesting guy to talk to about chickens and plants.

Hi Mark, I am in Long Valley- on the Mountain as well! I just started my mini flock with 5 chicks from My Pet Chicken, and immediately regretted not ordering more. I have a mixed bunch, including one easter egger. I should have ordered more! If you find out where to get anything locally, let me know. Tractor supply in Washington (off 31?) has some rir pullets and something else rock... and Penwell mills has sex link red star (I believe) chicks.

Jessika
i have some SQ bantams for sale if you are looking!!!

Well I picked up Piper and Pippa today. They are adorable. And hearing my kids say Awww is so cute. Here's a couple quick picks. My son made me laugh. After I took this pick she pooped on his seatbelt and he started to gag. Lol I couldn't help but laugh.

AAAHHH so funny and cute! Both my sons would absolutely gag. My daughter gets poop on her hand pretty regularly would think nothing of it and just wipe it off (on her pants) and say "it's just poop". :) My dog threw up on the floor the other day and my sons started screaming and ran to their rooms. My daughter was fascinated and wanted to look through it to see what was in there.

Hi, I'm a novice chicken enthusiast looking for a reputable breeder of heritage birds in or near the garden state. I recently started my flock from McMurray stock with mixed results and I'd like to go the local route for sourcing chicks in the future. A couple of hours' drive is ok too. Any leads? Also, anybody else located in NW Jersey? I'm just outside of Hackettstown on Schooley's Mountain, right where Morris, Hunterdon, and Warren counties converge. Glad I found this thread!

Mark

Mark, my personal chicken mentor lives within a bike ride of you. I must pass your house when I got to his, because I go up Schooley's Mountain - LOVE that road! - then turn on Newburgh. (?) He raises Jersey Giants. (Contact me for his info, as he's not on BYC.) If you're looking for exhibition quality, you'll not find much in NJ. In fact, NONE of my birds are from NJ! I have to travel to other states to get them, or I've ordered eggs and hatched them. I'm also on a list to have some LF buff brahmas shipped to me from Ohio, hopefully next month. It all depends on the breeds you're looking for. If you're just looking for pet quality, there are many more sources, but your best bet is to make sure to come to our show on May 18th, in Sussex. That's where I make all of my breeder contacts. Click here for the thread for the show.

There are not many poultry breeders in NJ, but the few people who are in NJ have amazing birds! I can think of four great breeders 1 is the Jersey Giant breeder Mary said but the other three have amazing birds! One breeds quail D'Anvers the other raises Plymouth Rock BT and the last has amazing Sumatra LF, BT, Ameracana LF and African Geese. But I do agree with Mary buying out of state birds is great! My champion Muscovies are from PA, Cochins from 2 breeders in NY, Houdans from Michigan an lots of other breeds too!

Thanks for all the warm welcomes, this seems like a great community with a ton of experience. Ben..., do you remember where you got those Hollands? That was one of the breeds that I was looking for, I'd love to add a couple. Those were first bred here in NJ, right?

i posted a request on the Holland page..the owner was in Pa. I drove to york to pick them up. I did get her last 2 though. sorry. I will have them at Sussex. Mary is so right about the JG man.. I met him on Sat. He is getting me a pair of whites. just as pets. I've met so many great people here and at shows. I got my speckled Sussex in Jackson there is a place called the poultry hatchery in NY I have never ordered from them but I do know they have Hollands. I called but they are sold out till Jan.
Ginny
( Ben is my cat)
gig.gif

Hey Guys would it be a good or bad idea to let the ladies outside for a bit tomorrow while on the Corid? It is supposed to be 70 and sunny, everyone seems to be doing quite well.
Thanks

For those looking for some local chicks - I am also right outside of Hope, I have pure wheaten marans now, and I should have some pure Orloff chicks later this spring/summer.

I also have EE and OE chicks. Oh - and some silkies/showgirls :)

I just had a batch hatch out on Friday and will have more in 3 weeks.

I'm not a large scale breeder, I just have one incubator, but I've turned into a hatching addict this year!

Back
Top Bottom