New Jersey

For those looking for some local chicks - I am also right outside of Hope, I have pure wheaten marans now, and I should have some pure Orloff chicks later this spring/summer. 

I also have EE and OE chicks. Oh - and some silkies/showgirls :)

I just had a batch hatch out on Friday and will have more in 3 weeks. 

I'm not a large scale breeder, I just have one incubator, but I've turned into a hatching addict this year!

I'm glad your hatches are going well. I guess the new incubator was a good investment. Or just an enabling device, lol.

AAAHHH so funny and cute! Both my sons would absolutely gag. My daughter gets poop on her hand pretty regularly would think nothing of it and just wipe it off (on her pants) and say "it's just poop". :) My dog threw up on the floor the other day and my sons started screaming and ran to their rooms. My daughter was fascinated and wanted to look through it to see what was in there.

Too funny.

I'm glad your hatches are going well. I guess the new incubator was a good investment. Or just an enabling device, lol.

Yep it's definitely an enabling device...now I have both the new incubator and my old one filling up!!!
I need to play with the humidity a little - I set had it at about 25% through the first 18 days, but none of the silkies hatched and a handful of the marans (and several of one EE hen's eggs) didn't hatch. I am going to run it a little higher this time. Maybe 30-35%. I'll see if the hatch % is any different.

Yep it's definitely an enabling device...now I have both the new incubator and my old one filling up!!!
I need to play with the humidity a little - I set had it at about 25% through the first 18 days, but none of the silkies hatched and a handful of the marans (and several of one EE hen's eggs) didn't hatch. I am going to run it a little higher this time. Maybe 30-35%. I'll see if the hatch % is any different. 

Take a look at Marquisella. She uses low humidity for her marans and has great success with her hatches. She's in upstate ny.

I just candled today and my air cells on some are huge. I've been running 23-29%. Now I just bumped it up to close to 40. Only three more days till lockdown.

Had the little ones out today and when I looked over shortly after this is what I saw.

He looks mangled, but just sleeping. Lol.
almost a 100 chicks of experience and it still freaks me out when they do that. They just get so pooped from all the running around and the warm sun. Kind of like when my daughter was little and would fall asleep in her dinner.

Back
Top Bottom