New Jersey

Thank you all for the sugar water/gatorade/electrolyte advice. I am happy to report that it worked!!! Sugar (as my daughter calls her) is doing all the things little c againhicks do! She stretching her legs, pushing her way in to eat, cleaning herself and POOPING!!! She shakes her little butt sooo fast then pushes out a little drop. It is adorable. So far this is the only chick we have that has done that. She is the tiniest of the bunch but that doesn't stop her - she definitely keeps up. I can't tell you how scared I was that we were going to lose her. It is such a joy to watch her running around. Many, many thanks to all.

Thank you all for the sugar water/gatorade/electrolyte advice.  I am happy to report that it worked!!!  Sugar (as my daughter calls her) is doing all the things little c againhicks do!  She stretching her legs, pushing her way in to eat, cleaning herself and POOPING!!!  She shakes her little butt sooo fast then pushes out a little drop.  It is adorable.  So far this is the only chick we have that has done that.  She is the tiniest of the bunch but that doesn't stop her - she definitely keeps up.  I can't tell you how scared I was that we were going to lose her. It is such a joy to watch her running around.   Many, many thanks to all.

Glad to hear she's better. Poop never made some of us so happy right? Lol.

Hi everyone! So I put my younger chicks in with my older chicks in the outside pen. It's been 3 days. 2 of the older ones peck at the younger ones occasionally. The two flocks nest separately. Once and awhile the older ones will get up and walk around and that's when they will take a peck or two at the youngins. How long do you think it is before I can feel comfortable that they are safe. Obviously when they start nesting together would be ideal... But do you think they would have done some damage by now?

Hi everyone! So I put my younger chicks in with my older chicks in the outside pen. It's been 3 days. 2 of the older ones peck at the younger ones occasionally. The two flocks nest separately. Once and awhile the older ones will get up and walk around and that's when they will take a peck or two at the youngins. How long do you think it is before I can feel comfortable that they are safe. Obviously when they start nesting together would be ideal... But do you think they would have done some damage by now?

So far it sounds normal. Just check the younger ones for blood and look for unexplained feathers. It will probably be a week or so before they roost together or they may always function as two separate groups. That's ok. Post some pics soon.

Won BIS an Champion LF today with my Houdan hen, RIS and champion WF with my Muscovy Hen and champion BT with my white leghorn hen at the Stars and Stripes open youth poultry show

Won BIS an Champion LF today with my Houdan hen, RIS and champion WF with my Muscovy Hen and champion BT with my white leghorn hen at the Stars and Stripes open youth poultry show
yesss.gif
highfive.gif
woot.gif

Quote: I was about to advise the same. Even though they see the others drinking, sometimes they need the extra push. I put Poultry Drench in the water to give them a bit of a jump start. I have chicks due on Saturday, but the eggs are the weirdest I've ever seen - the insides, I mean. I don't know what to expect. I was hoping for at least 18 - now I'd be happy with five. Sigh.

Do you see them moving? I have eggs hatching today/tomorrow. Two are pipped but these egg are hard to see through. I hope more than not make it. Let us know.
Ended up with six. Two were very weak and had to have a little help from the shell, although I normally do not do this. The second one is still quite weak, so I've been giving her water drop-by-drop through a syringe until she's more stable on her feet. The rest of them are running circles around her, and knocking her down, but I don't have my chick hospital tank anymore so that I can separate her, so I just keep checking on her. I have a bad feeling I'm looking at several males - ugh.

On that note, I have a bantam Salmon Faverolles male available that cannot be bred - he has a beak deformity that should not be reproduced. Otherwise, he's fine. He's perfect for those who'd like to have a rooster for the flock, (which I highly recommend,) but do not want a large fowl male. I've kept a bantam cock in my flock for years, and the girls really like having a man around the house. Yes, they crow, but much quieter than a LF, and the Faverolles have a deeper voice. The father of these rarely crows. He should be ready to go in another week or so.

Back
Top Bottom