New Jersey

Great job Zach she is beautiful. Not familiar with the breed. Kind of looks like a polish hen.

My silkie hen lost half of her top beak. Will that grow back? I fed her mush with a spoon tonight. She didn't seem too interested in eating. Thought she'd be starving by now. Any suggestions? We think she had a run in with the ducks.

Quote: What club? The Poultry Fanciers Club?
Sorry, yes - the Sussex County Poultry Fanciers Association. I forget that some on here might not know of it.

If you go, however, be aware that this is NOT our show! The birds on display are mainly backyard pets, some of indeterminate breeds. (Although some club members have really nice birds there.) The birds at our Fall and Spring shows are purebred exhibition fowl. The club just helps out the fair by watching over the birds and providing information about chickens.

Oh, okay, I considered -and still am- joining it.

But for the regular state fair show, I'm assuming you still can't show Easter Eggers.... I have 3 EE's and then a Bev Davis Wheaten Marans, so she is of very good quality. When you do show your chickens, do they have to stay there for the entire length of the show? Sorry if it sounds stupid, but I was reading the rules for the Sussex County State Fair, and I'm pretty sure it said that they have to be kept there. I would not be comfortable leaving her there :/

I am fairly new to New Jersey and recently bought a small farm that comes with 1 laying hen. I am looking to find her some friends. I am from Warren County, Harmony Township. It is really nice to see so much interest for BYC in NJ! I love reading all the posts!

Howdy neighbor! Sorry I can't be of help, I'm down in S. Jersey, Mays Landing Atlantic County. Here there's a feed/market store that sells chicks of different breeds not far away, so I'm lucky. I know alot of people get them through the mail, but that kinda scares me. Anyway good luck & welcome to the Garden State...

Quote:
Please don't think your questions are stupid! We all asked them, and were given answers by those with more experience, just as you will give answers when you know more! It's a pass-it-on sort of thing. The state fair allows any chicken of any breed, (you probably put it under "All Other Varieties:) provided they are tested for pullorum. I tested a Golden Comet with a clipped beak up there, and sure enough, she's in the show! The birds do have to remain at the fair for the entire ten days, and the owner is the one really responsible for the animal. While the poultry club does check to see if they have water on hot days, and keep an eye on people so they don't bother the birds, the owner is supposed to check the feed and the bedding, or arrange to have someone do it. This year's weather has been fabulous, but there are some years when the heat has actually been dangerous for them, even though we have huge fans going. I don't show at that one for all of the reasons I mentioned, plus, I live 90 minutes away. But for those who live close, it can be a lot of fun. Joining the poultry club is only $6 - you can't even buy McDonald's for that. ($10 for a family.) There's a short newsletter every month, but the social part of the club is at the shows and on the FB page. Members and past exhibitors automatically get a catalog for the shows each spring and fall. Except for special occasions, ours is a one-day show.

Last edited:
Quote: Thanks for all of the helpful info! I also read in the rules for th State show that they can be taken home under special circumstances- whatever that means. I will definitely consider joining the club. Are there any teenagers in it? :D

Quote: Thanks for all of the helpful info! I also read in the rules for th State show that they can be taken home under special circumstances- whatever that means. I will definitely consider joining the club. Are there any teenagers in it? :D

The club is for everyone, although the primary purpose is for adults, as teenagers have the 4H. Juniors are judged twice at our shows, both against each other, and against the adults, so there are two sets of awards.

The special circumstances would be if we found the bird to have parasites, or became sick, or, if the heat became too oppressive, we would have the owners take all the birds home. It's assumed that the owner agrees to the 10-day stay when they fill out the entry form.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom