New Jersey

Galloway NJ here
smile.png
Love my little ladies..can't wait to add to flock

I currently need to find a home for my little guy A sweet little silkie rooster he is just discovering that he is a roo and is making eyes at my hen, much to the disapproval of my big rooster It breaks my heart to part with him but I know I can not have two roosters! I want to find a good home and the thought of a farm auction is bothersome to me...in a perfect world I could find the perfect home for him I feel like he will be traumatized by leaving the only home he has ever known am I an overprotective chicky mom or what?! How large of a flock do you have? I live in a development in Camden county only have 1/2 acre of land but want to get on track with making the correct desicions, namely buying only hens! My coup is pretty small so I think I can only accommodate 1 rooster and 3 hens does your flock free range? We have a small run so during the time I am here I let them free range, its like having little kids all over again I am constantly checking outside to see that they are safe In in hindsight, I should have gotten a larger run and then they would have some room to run around in there. When I decided to get the chicks, I thought I did enough research but I guess you never really know until you start something, that you don't know nearly as much as you thought! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have had my chicks for 2 1/2 months

I am dealing with the immediate problem of finding out that one of my silkies is a roo.  He is a sweet little guy I am thinking about 4-5 mo old any advice on re-homing him would be  greatly appreciated.  I feel as though I am giving away one of my children!!  I know now to get only hens in the future!  I was not planning on having a roo but will keep my older one  Marty.  (previously Mary)  I guess I need some education in telling the boys from the girls, though I did read that with silkies it is a little harder to know.

Most bantams are very hard to sex as chicks. Silkies are particularly hard to sex even after a few months. That's why they are sold as straight run. Best to buy older birds if you can't have roos when it comes to types like silkies.

Batten down the hatches we're in for a cold night and the next few days. Cant believe it came so quickly. I think we're in for a cold winter
I know! With all of the other chores I had today, I didn't get to wrapping the coop. It's still fairly draft-free, but I don't like the sudden, overnight cold.

Do you wrap the whole outside? I've wrapped under the coop only for my three ducks. They really need their own pen but since they get along with the chickens they can stay.

Thank goodness I made my water warmer yesterday! Got the idea here. Used a square cookie tin & an old lamp. Drilled a hole in the tin. Took the lamp apart, put it all together & screwed in a 40w bulb. Sat my plastic waterer on top & it works great! Just in time it's freezing in Mays Landing.

Back
Top Bottom