New Jersey

We haven't received the next court date yet but just had a search warrant given to us through a Zoning Officer Sal Poli
http://www.nj.com/morris/index.ssf/2014/04/resident_mad_over_denville_chicken_ordiance.html
We aren't giving up and may have to appeal.
I hope you succeed. It is ludicrous that a family can't have a few hens. In many townships a few chickens is illegal, but a household can have 6 dogs, several cats, many rabbits, and other pet birds without issue.

Brian,

My prayers go out to you , your family, and your birds. I'm so glad that towns like livingston and rockaway are so much more forward thinking. If there is anything I can do to help please let me know. We are in livingston and we have eight hens ourselves. I would definitely fight if they tried taking them for us. As Joel Salatin would say "folks this ain't normal,"

Raul

Quote: http://www.app.com/story/news/local...ents-cry-fowl-over-backyard-chickens/9070079/

That was a ridiculous article! I don't get that paper anymore, but a friend alerted me to the article and I bought a copy. The animal control officer made it sound like all hens houses are automatically overrun with rodents! Same old misinformation and rumor being spread about by whining neighbors! And they are making that man get rid of his birds over FOUR FEET of space! This world is going to hell.

There's plenty of interest in Howell to have chickens. When I gave a talk about it at the library two years ago, 40 people showed up, and they had a waiting list of others wanting to attend!

Why do people continue to promote misinformation? Sure, there are the folks who don't keep a proper coop and invite problems (there are far more owners of "domestics" that fit that category though). I deep litter, and am not exactly "johnny on the spot" when it comes to scraping the poop boards, but I am diligent about feed management, and the only rodents that visit my run are a giant woodchuck named Bubba and nutz and boltz (the red squirrels) and the occassional chipmunk. In addition to having no opening greater than 1/4 inch in my coop, my roosters eat mice, so they are not a problem. I imagine they might give a rat a run for their money too.

The world (particularly the US) needs to wake up about the food supply and move toward backyard agriculture again. It used to be that everyone had a garden and a few chickens. There are places where you can't put food crops in your front yard, even if they look pretty! Last week i read about a place out west where a guy was summoned to court to defend himself for use of a rain barrel! The water utility was claiming some kind of theft! What kind of a world do we live in when when someone can lay claim to ownership of the rain that falls on your land? Next we will be paying for sun and air.

Ok rant over, for now...

Last edited:
I was going to get my 1st chicks there. Tooo many family obligations. Yesterday my husband said "hey do you know there is a rooster in our woods?" Well my 1st chicken found me. Funny how things work out.
woot.gif

Back
Top Bottom