New Jersey

I am the president of one of the poultry clubs in ocean county. Our fair is this Wednesday until this coming Sunday at the miller Air park. There will be over 115 poultry and other animal tents. Most of the members in my county show at other 4-H shows in the state and many of us show APA/ABA shows in PA,MD,DE and the Sussex show. Some of us are going out to the APA national in Knoxville, TN.

Helped Needed in Hunterdon - I need help. Do you (or someone you know) have an extra 8 week old hen I could adopt from you?
Just lost my 8 week old Buff Orpington hen to a predator. Her "sister", an 8 week old Dominique is beside herself. They shared a lovely coop with three other 2 year old hens (Easter Egger, Buff Orpie and a Wyandotte). These hens will never be destined for the stew pot. All of mine have names and are cared for deeply. I'm devastated about this baby...I've never lost one before.

There's no 4H clubs for chickens around here. The closest I found is in Farmingdale - quite a ways. Still, ask the leaders at the Monmouth County Fair when you go - there may be something new since I last asked.

I'm not sure how many years ago you inquired but Monmouth Livestock has been active since the 60's. I'm a club leader (dog project) and Bob Nichols and his wife are co-leaders. They meet at their farm in Howell. True the livestock club has kids involved in goat, sheep and poultry but the current makeup of the club has a good number of chicken and duck projects. They exhibit at the Fair and open 4-H shows throughout the State.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Kristine - I meant around Middletown. Howell is quite a drive from here, even farther away than Farmingdale. I know about the 4H clubs in Howell and Ocean County, plus others. The poultry section of the livestock club in Monmouth has shrunk quite a bit over the years, at least from what I've seen at the fair, and like I said, the meetings are not located conveniently to Middletown, and certainly not the Belford area.

Last edited:
Helped Needed in Hunterdon - I need help. Do you (or someone you know) have an extra 8 week old hen I could adopt from you?
Just lost my 8 week old Buff Orpington hen to a predator. Her "sister", an 8 week old Dominique is beside herself. They shared a lovely coop with three other 2 year old hens (Easter Egger, Buff Orpie and a Wyandotte). These hens will never be destined for the stew pot. All of mine have names and are cared for deeply. I'm devastated about this baby...I've never lost one before.

I have a couple of 3 1/2 month-old girls available, a bit bigger than what you want. Be prepared, no matter what the age of the bird you get, even if they were hatched the same day, that she may never have another "sister" - every new bird has to make her own way. They may bond, they may not. Sorry for your loss.

Thank you for the advice. It's her mourning calls that are breaking my heart. I'd like her to have a friend because I'm worried she's not going to be accepted by the older girls. What kind of girls do you have?

Thank you so much for this information. I just looked up the fair and the schedule. Looks like much fun for us and the kids too.

Thank you for the advice. It's her mourning calls that are breaking my heart. I'd like her to have a friend because I'm worried she's not going to be accepted by the older girls. What kind of girls do you have?

They're Faverolles. They are not hatchery, but they still don't meet the standard for coloring. Since I show my birds, they are just taking up space. Great eye candy, though, which is why I haven't worked too hard on getting rid of them. Their probably a good bit bigger than your baby, however, so I would recommend trying to find one closer to her age first.

The best way to introduce is to have the new bird(s) in a wire cage in the same space as the older birds, for about three weeks. By the time you let the new ones out, the older ones are used to them, and fighting will be kept to a minimum. There will be squabbling no matter what, but this method reduces it considerably. She'll probably be on the bottom of the pecking order, no matter what, though. The only time I've seen birds jump to a higher level right away is when I introduced older birds, since they take less crap than the babies.

Last edited:

Would you be interested in a rooster? I have 2 that hatched june 1st, EE barred rock cross and EE Delaware cross. Friendly and healthy! Im in sussex county

I don't know if anyone in the area would be interested, but I thought I'd post, just in case. I have two baby Alpine goats for sale, They are both bucklings. They've been wethered and disbudded, are up to date on CD-T shots, and their mothers are CAE Negative. I'd like $125 each.
Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom