New Jersey

Oh wow. I thought that we were the only ones that were having trouble with hawks! We've had all sorts of them around here this winter! Sharp shins which are after the small birds that have been going into the chicken run to eat the chicken feed, Cooper's hawks. The Cooper's keep circling the yard and perch on top of the fence posts that surround our horse pasture and they sit on top of our kids wooden swing/slide in the back yard. I have even seen something that I can't identify, very white underneath with black points on wings like a gull or snow goose, but I can tell that it's a hawk of some sort by the way it flies. We even had a Bald Eagle in our horse pasture! I think that the extreme weather has made them all desperate for a meal.

I try to vary the times that I let the hens out. Some days they don't get out at all. My husband always puts them out no matter what, which makes me extremely nervous. And once they're out, you can't get them to go back in until dusk. I've even tried throwing some treats in their run but they seem to know whats up and take turns running in to get them and running back out! They all wont go in at once! The smarties! LOL

I am sorry to hear that your hen got injured. I hope she makes a speedy recovery.

Hi All, haven't been on here for a really long time. Just got 2 EE's and a golden lace wyandotte (my 1st one), so excited! I got them @ Agway in New Egypt. They just came in this morning. They also got in BR's and RR's. I have ten big girls all different, almost all laying again now since they stopped in early December. I also expirienced my first death this winter. One of my white brahmas decided to stay in the run and we found her dead in the morning. Not sure what happened, she was on 3yrs old, no signs of illness or injury. Only that my husband said he found a soft egg once in the nesting box. Maybe she got one stuck in her. All others doing great this stormy winter. Babies r inside w us!

Hi All, haven't been on here for a really long time. Just got 2 EE's and a golden lace wyandotte (my 1st one), so excited! I got them @ Agway in New Egypt. They just came in this morning. They also got in BR's and RR's. I have ten big girls all different, almost all laying again now since they stopped in early December. I also expirienced my first death this winter. One of my white brahmas decided to stay in the run and we found her dead in the morning. Not sure what happened, she was on 3yrs old, no signs of illness or injury. Only that my husband said he found a soft egg once in the nesting box. Maybe she got one stuck in her. All others doing great in this stormy winter. Babies r inside w us!

Oh wow.  I thought that we were the only ones that were having trouble with hawks!  We've had all sorts of them around here this winter!  Sharp shins which are after the small birds that have been going into the chicken run to eat the chicken feed, Cooper's hawks.  The Cooper's keep circling the yard and perch on top of the fence posts that surround our horse pasture and they sit on top of our kids wooden swing/slide in the back yard. I have even seen something that I can't identify, very white underneath with black points on wings like a gull or snow goose, but I can tell that it's a hawk of some sort by the way it flies. We even had a Bald Eagle in our horse pasture!  I think that the extreme weather has made them all desperate for a meal.

I try to vary the times that I let the hens out.  Some days they don't get out at all.  My husband always puts them out no matter what, which makes me extremely nervous.  And once they're out, you can't get them to go back in until dusk.  I've even tried throwing some treats in their run but they seem to know whats up and take turns running in to get them and running back out!  They all wont go in at once! The smarties!  LOL

I am sorry to hear that your hen got injured.  I hope she makes a speedy recovery.

Thank you. She seems to bit back to herself and her stitches are starting to scab. She's doing well. I've seen all kinds of hawks around too. Cooper's, red tailed, and I did see a sharp shinned for the first time recently (I'm not too worried about them because they are so small).In the summer the osprey come out of the marsh and fly around our house (they only eat fish though). Could the bird you saw have been a gyrfalcon? They can look seagullish. See, for my girls, as long as I have the mealworm container, they will always stampede into the run! (Except when my friend watched them for me and two stubborn birds wouldn't trust her haha). I love birds of prey, they are really spectacular animals, but the predation part isn't so nice. I cant hold it against them though, it's what they were made to do. :/

Hi All, haven't been on here for a really long time. Just got 2 EE's and a golden lace wyandotte (my 1st one), so excited! I got them @ Agway in New Egypt. They just came in this morning. They also got in BR's and RR's. I have ten big girls all different, almost all laying again now since they stopped in early December. I also expirienced my first death this winter. One of my white brahmas decided to stay in the run and we found her dead in the morning. Not sure what happened, she was on 3yrs old, no signs of illness or injury. Only that my husband said he found a soft egg once in the nesting box. Maybe she got one stuck in her. All others doing great this stormy winter. Babies r inside w us!

I love my bantam EEs! Good layers with pretty eggs, but they do like to go broody and can fly very well! (One of Mine flew on the roof of my house once) sorry about your hen. At that age, it's possible she could have had a laying complication.

I love my bantam EEs! Good layers with pretty eggs, but they do like to go broody and can fly very well! (One of Mine flew on the roof of my house once) sorry about your hen. At that age, it's possible she could have had a laying complication.

Oops sorry, figuring out how this site works!
I agree! My 2 older EE's like to jump their uncovered run fence and free range in my yard while the others just stare in jealousy! I do free range all of them in the back yard a few times a week.

Last edited:
So glad to hear about the hen who almost became hawk-bait. Will her stiches dissolve or does she have to go back to the vet? I have removed stiches from my dog myself. Just snip and tug. Of course the vet will examine and make sure all is well. If there is no swelling or leaking, then things should be OK.
My first batch of chickens were golden laced wyandottes. I still have a hen and rooster. They are the most beautiful chickens I have. Very sweet and gentle too. My EEs are flighty and not so social. But those eggs are great. And I have true breed ameraucanas. They lay sky blue eggs and are very vocal. I swear my husband has a conversation with his favorite hens. They also are good breeders. I just hatched 2 chicks over nite and 2 more eggs are peeping.(internal pips) This batch had low temps for the first 4 days and I didn't have much hope for any of them.

So glad to hear about the hen who almost became hawk-bait. Will her stiches dissolve or does she have to go back to the vet? I have removed stiches from my dog myself. Just snip and tug. Of course the vet will examine and make sure all is well. If there is no swelling or leaking, then things should be OK.
My first batch of chickens were golden laced wyandottes. I still have a hen and rooster. They are the most beautiful chickens I have. Very sweet and gentle too. My EEs are flighty and not so social. But those eggs are great. And I have true breed ameraucanas. They lay sky blue eggs and are very vocal. I swear my husband has a conversation with his favorite hens. They also are good breeders. I just hatched 2 chicks over nite and 2 more eggs are peeping.(internal pips) This batch had low temps for the first 4 days and I didn't have much hope for any of them.  

Nope, her stitches are dissolveable so she won't have to go back. Her wound is starting to scab now, so hopefully she'll fully heal soon! I'm glad she's ok because she's my favorite bird. Good luck with your chicks!

Last edited:
Ooh, Ameraucanas! Are those the ones that have more of a hump in back than tail feathers sticking up? Maybe next yr I'll add those.
For some reason people tell me the EE eggs taste better and are richer tasting. I dont know, they all taste great to me and so much better than store bought.
My Ee's do have more of a whistle-y sound and its sweeter and they seem the most curious birds in the flock.
This snow has got to go though! Looks pretty today, but I need the warmth of the sun!

Ooh, Ameraucanas! Are those the ones that have more of a hump in back than tail feathers sticking up? Maybe next yr I'll add those.
For some reason people tell me the EE eggs taste better and are richer tasting. I dont know, they all taste great to me and so much better than store bought.
My Ee's do have more of a whistle-y sound and its sweeter and they seem the most curious birds in the flock.
This snow has got to go though! Looks pretty today, but I need the warmth of the sun!

Araucanas are the rumped, sometimes tufted birds. Ameraucanas are the purebred version of EEs. Personally, all my eggs taste the same, but my EE eggs are really tough to crack. One of my EEs makes this yelling sound when I'm near her, but the other one likes to squeak when she gets treats! My two always hang out together. When one goes broody, the other one does. This usually results in them sharing a nest box and sitting on each other (as you can see in my avatar, lol).
I hate winter, well, I hate the cold. I'd take a 90 degree summer day over 20 degrees anytime!

Back
Top Bottom