New Jersey

Pics
Hello!

I'm in Allentown NJ. I currently am looking for two more chicks. I placed an order of six and they arrived with two ducks but now im looking for two more pullets. we live on 24 acres and have a lovely chicken coop and run. Does anyone breed chickens in my area? Perhaps in 4-H? Thanks!!

Hi firstlady. Agway has chicks for sale if your not too picky. Seems they always are NOT what they are advertised as. But they are usually healthy. I think you must buy 3 at a time tho. I got 12 Americaunas that were actually EE's. One Copper Maran that was actually a Speckled Sussex roo. and 12 assorted bantams that were just that. There is an Agway in Englishtown.

Last edited:
Quote:
How 'bout that fine new TSC near you? I heard they sometimes have chicks. I have bantam faverolles eggs in the bator right now and I have a dozen WLR bantam cornish coming in the mail. My first mailed eggs - hope they hatch. Working on making a foam cooler hatcher, too - because I'm insane and have no control.

So lucky you are with the 24 acres!! I could have kept my beautiful BLRW roo if I had that kind of space.

Quote:
How 'bout that fine new TSC near you? I heard they sometimes have chicks. I have bantam faverolles eggs in the bator right now and I have a dozen WLR bantam cornish coming in the mail. My first mailed eggs - hope they hatch. Working on making a foam cooler hatcher, too - because I'm insane and have no control.

So lucky you are with the 24 acres!! I could have kept my beautiful BLRW roo if I had that kind of space.

I got most of my chicks from TSC and then two of them wound up being roos so i traded them with a poultry farm in north jersey today so it worked out well. The people in the tractor supply are pretty nice. They dont really have that big of a selection in the store but you sure can order them. Right now I have two mallard ducklings, a golden laced wyandotte, a black australorp, rhode island red and three dark bantam pullets!

I would have kept a rooster but we have a lot of other predators and i only have one coop. I really want edible eggs. I have also never had any experience with a rooster before.

I have never hatched eggs. Is it hard to do? That sounds like it would be fun.

I really wanted to get bantams. They are so cute! However I cant because my family wants large eggs. Maybe ill get just one. lol

Free Chicken Owner’s Workshop being held in Mike’s Feed in Riverdale NJ on Sunday April 10th after closing hour @ 5:00 pm. There will be a Chicken photo contest with prizes for the funniest and fanciest chicken. Come for Free Nutrition, Care and Veterinary advice from the speakers and Q&A time. Free giveaways. Mike’s Feed Farm 90 Hamburg Turnpike Riverdale NJ 07457. To reserve a spot call (973) 839-7747

Quote:
As I'm only on my second clutch, I don't have much experience, either! Not as addicting a some people say it is, but if I had plenty of room, it might be a different story. I just today put 10 shipped eggs in the bator, and I need to make a hatcher by this weekend for the eggs that are going into lockdown next Monday. This is my first time with shipped eggs. It can be very stressful, but it's pretty cool to see the babies grow.

Get some bantams - the faverolles are amazing - and they don't count as far as space or number of chickens. I know what you're saying about the eggs - I don't feel like cracking open a dozen eggs for a sandwich, either. I usually feed those eggs back to the flock.

Hey guys. I guess there is some chicken fever going around. We keep getting calls about chicks so we decided to order some more. I know a lot of you live further south but there is always the upside of seeing my darling face.
tongue.png
They should be in around May 3rd. I'll let you know for sure. All pullets (or as accurate as the hatcheries guarantee.) and straight run bantams. That is all.
smile.png

We'll have

RIR
SL Wyn
Light Brahmas
Buff Orps
Astrolorp
Brred Rock
EE's

Asst. Bantams

Hey guys! Just checking in. I'm still around, but I've been busy with college. The semester is winding down and I will be home before I know it. I'm really missing all my animals!

It's been a while since I've met any New Jersey peeps and I'd love to try and make it to Chickenstock or the Sussex County spring show this year. It's been a while since I've been to either!

I don't think I'll be able to hatch again this year.
sad.png
I will be spending two months in Newark working on research for an internship. Hmmm...maybe they won't notice a box of chicks in my apartment! LOL

I also don't think I'll be able to make it to my county fair this year. In the past I've been the poultry show superintendent, but my internship runs right up until that same week. Hopefully I'll get to the Sussex fair though!

Back
Top Bottom