New Jersey

Pics
Can you please tell me more about the show in May? When and where? I won't be able to make the Northeast one on Jan 14, and I'm dying for a polish to complete my little flock.

thanks

Quote:
Absolutely! The show is May 19, from 9 to about 3, at the NJ State Fairgrounds in Augusta, NJ. (You can google it for directions.) The Sussex County Poultry Fanciers is the only poultry club left in NJ. (90% of the birds you see at the county fairs belong to 4h'rs) We have two shows a year, in May and October. I'm proud to announce we will be hosting the Jersey Giant Club National Meet at our fall show. The date for that is still waiting approval from the fairgrounds. The information for any of the shows will be posted on a separate thread here as the time gets closer, as well as on the club's FB page.

The show is free to all visitors, and any show is a great place to see all the different breeds and varieties in person. The greatest value of a poultry show is the availability of knowledge walking around. That's really why I do it - to pick the brains of the people who have been working with birds for years. I never go home without learning something new and valuable. Next weekend at the Congress in Springfield, I am hopefully meeting up with one of the top breeders of faverolles in the country. I'm going to have him give my birds the once over and tell me what my next steps should be. Where else can you get personal lessons like that? Even if I'm not showing, I try to attend all the shows I can reach for the knowledge I gain. If you live in South Jersey, the Delmarva show in March is another great one.

Ok, getting off my soap box. See you at the shows!

man i really wish the shows were more centalized, its quite a drive for anyone who's not from up north

Quote:
I agree! Although I am closer than you, on the Friday night before the show, it sometimes takes me over three hours to get to Sussex with all the traffic on the Parkway and Rt. 80, even though it's really only a little over an hour from me. I can never make it to the meetings for that reason - by the time I would get there, the meeting would be over. There used to be more poultry clubs in the state, but interest died out.

Check out these links to locate more shows within driving distance. (Although the Crossroads was totally worth the drive, and the annual Ohio National, in October, is really great, too. I only go out there every other year.)
Always double check the dates with the contact person listed. Most shows are held the same time every year. Don't miss Delmarva - even from my house in Monmouth Cty., it's only three hours, and the rooms near there are good prices.

http://poultryb.dot5hosting.com/upcomingshows.html

http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Shows.html

Also, frequently stroll through the show listings here. There's almost alway a thread for every show in the country.

Hi everyone! I am wondering if any of you buy feed from a mill in or around sussex county and if anyone would like to go in with me on a bulk feed purchase. I am trying to find a way to decrease my feed costs and I figure this is the best way. I am willing to do the coordinating and such. If this is not an appropriate place to have this post, just let me know (I can't think where else to put it though). So, does anyone know of any mills in the northern end of the state (or just over into PA or NY)?

i'm looking at duckweed to cut my feed costs, it doubles in size every 24-72 hrs and is 52% protein. it can be found in almost any pond but it doesnt grow in winter. all you need is a fish pond or a few barrels to grow it in.

Hi everyone! I am wondering if any of you buy feed from a mill in or around sussex county and if anyone would like to go in with me on a bulk feed purchase. I am trying to find a way to decrease my feed costs and I figure this is the best way. I am willing to do the coordinating and such. If this is not an appropriate place to have this post, just let me know (I can't think where else to put it though). So, does anyone know of any mills in the northern end of the state (or just over into PA or NY)?

Christine, you might want to post this on the club FB page, as well. Most of our members live up in that area.

Back
Top Bottom