New Khaki Campbell owner... Questions to ask!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by hatatat, Mar 20, 2013.

1. hatatat

hatatat New Egg

Mar 20, 2013
    About three weeks ago, I purchased 2 Khaki Campbell ducklings. My ducklings still seem to be EXTREMELY standoffish. A) Any idea why? They have not yet taken to the offering of other snacks just yet, and I have been told the greatest way to win their heart is snacks and food. I am not completely positive of their age, but I can see their feathers are just beginning to come in. B) Is this breed prone to separation anxiety, considering we had bought them together? And lastly, I do know from other friend duck owners, that this breed doesn't "need" a pond or such, except the occasional bath time or playtime. I have placed a large water bowl to the corner of the cage for watering, but it seems to have become more of a place to run into and run out of as play. I have also built a 3' x 2' cage for sleeping, (as for in the future, we hope to only have one khaki pet, as the other may go to a different home). We are in high hopes of having our khaki as a regular house pet. C) What are our best options to achieve this goal?

2. ducksinarow

ducksinarow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    I have KC. They are not a pet breed. They are nice little ducks but not lap pets. One would be extremely lonely. They love to forage, meaning they like to search for food not in the bowl. Mine run to me when I whistle for treats but they would not want to be inside alone with me. They are are tight little group. One is not more than a few feet from the other. I could not imagine just having one. Just my observations.

3. hatatat

hatatat New Egg

Mar 20, 2013
    Thanks so much for the feedback. Very helpful. Hopefully time could give more of a chance.

4. cosbackyard

cosbackyard Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2013
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Same is true of my Campbells. They're always within a few feet of eachother. They won't come to me unless I'm sitting down, and then only sometimes. Well... except for the drake. He'll chase me around the yard and nip at me. Which is endlessly entertaining.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by