New Kits ( 1 Week 4 Days )

Marrrum

Chirping
7 Years
May 15, 2016
Salt Lake City, Utah
These kits were born not two weeks ago. There are a total of 8. I believe the doe is a Blanc de Hotot mix and the buck is a California Rex/ New Zealand White mix. Basically, meat mutts. This is my second litter. I am about 1 and half years into this project. I didn't want to rush and produce a ton of rabbits without making sure I had the most appropriate set up. Now I feel a lot more comfortable to start regular production. I intend to tan the hides with Alum ( purchased 10 pounds ) and water solution. If anyone has any suggestions other than " pinning up " the hides on a wood board to dry, please advise. Also, any info on how to properly cut the fur to be able to make the best use of it later?

Friends,

Thanks for writing!

@FoodFreedomNow , Thanks, ill have to contact that member! I have it down as far as taking the fatty cells off of the fur. It's the drying part that is getting me. They tend to rip at the points where I hand them from. Also, there must be some better way to dry them than the freaking dryer as some people suggest. That sounds absurd to me.

Friends,

Thanks for writing!

@FoodFreedomNow , Thanks, ill have to contact that member! I have it down as far as taking the fatty cells off of the fur. It's the drying part that is getting me. They tend to rip at the points where I hand them from. Also, there must be some better way to dry them than the freaking dryer as some people suggest. That sounds absurd to me.

I have to agree, using the dryer sounds problematic - I imagine it would be pretty messy..? Please let me know how your tanning adventure goes - I need to start on my own.
smile.png

Merry Christmas!

Friends,

Thanks for writing!

There are stretcher frames available. You put the hide on the stretcher and hang it to air dry. You might be able to find these at a rabbit supply house.

Back
Top Bottom