Sorry to hear about your sick family member😔 I have a huge aviary and it has lots of vines. They actually grew threw the ceiling and my budgies love swinging on it. They Aldo started blooming and the bees were all over them. I had some good sales, I breed and sell locally. That includes Coturnix quail and next summer I will breed my California quail! I'm so excited to see your aviary's vines!

I’ve got some California native grapevines, passionflower, and black-eyed susan vines growing on 3 of the walls. By this time next year I’m sure they’ll be really well filled out!

I have sunflowers that come year round and I always try to stop the budgies from "murderifying" the fluff out of them. However it never works:(. I'm planning on putting all my budgies in a smaller aviary do they can breed and can eat vegetables and lettuce instead of my sunflowers.

*SIGH*

Still having lots of quaviary drama... So, the falb fee (Jenny) was reintroduced about a week ago and she's actually been fine. After a full week in isolation, she went back into the aviary and seemed to reintegrate without any dominance issues. However, then the pearl fee (Pearl) started picking on her... Pearl, who never had an aggressive bone in her body! All of a sudden she's decided that she hates Jenny, who used to be her best friend. I guess Pearl became the flock leader in Jenny's absence, and Jenny moved to the bottom of the barrel, which makes sense. But Pearl's bullying has been relentless.

So I put Pearl in isolation for 2 days. Tried reintroducing her (after sundown, rearranged aviary, etc.) and she immediately went back to beating up on Jenny the next morning. Put Pearl back in isolation for 3 more days, and last night tried another reintroduction, and this morning she's been more aggressive than ever. So I put her back in isolation again.

I have no idea why these birds all of a sudden decide they randomly hate another bird. Pearl and the 3 pharaohs were fine while Jenny was gone. Jenny and the 3 pharaohs were fine while Pearl was gone. But the first 2 birds that weren't getting along were Jenny and one of the pharaohs (Eddie) so I don't think it's a weird plumage thing...

I did recently change their diet from 21% protein to 18%... maybe that's why? But I reduced it because I like giving them BSFL as treats to make them more tame, so they get additional protein from me, and I didn't want them getting too much... I really don't think lack of protein is the issue.

Next thing I will try is "seen but not touched." I'm planning today to set Pearl up in the clear hospital tote that I can put in the shadiest corner and leave her in the aviary with everyone else, where she can see them, but not pick on Jenny. And I'll rearrange everything... again... 😮‍💨

I've attached a video here, please feel free to take a look and let me know if you guys see anything about the furniture, setup, behavior, etc. that I haven't noticed/thought of yet. I'm at my wit's end, here. But because Jenny was able to be rehabilitated I really don't want to cull anyone yet...

*SIGH*

Still having lots of quaviary drama... So, the falb fee (Jenny) was reintroduced about a week ago and she's actually been fine. After a full week in isolation, she went back into the aviary and seemed to reintegrate without any dominance issues. However, then the pearl fee (Pearl) started picking on her... Pearl, who never had an aggressive bone in her body! All of a sudden she's decided that she hates Jenny, who used to be her best friend. I guess Pearl became the flock leader in Jenny's absence, and Jenny moved to the bottom of the barrel, which makes sense. But Pearl's bullying has been relentless.

So I put Pearl in isolation for 2 days. Tried reintroducing her (after sundown, rearranged aviary, etc.) and she immediately went back to beating up on Jenny the next morning. Put Pearl back in isolation for 3 more days, and last night tried another reintroduction, and this morning she's been more aggressive than ever. So I put her back in isolation again.

I have no idea why these birds all of a sudden decide they randomly hate another bird. Pearl and the 3 pharaohs were fine while Jenny was gone. Jenny and the 3 pharaohs were fine while Pearl was gone. But the first 2 birds that weren't getting along were Jenny and one of the pharaohs (Eddie) so I don't think it's a weird plumage thing...

I did recently change their diet from 21% protein to 18%... maybe that's why? But I reduced it because I like giving them BSFL as treats to make them more tame, so they get additional protein from me, and I didn't want them getting too much... I really don't think lack of protein is the issue.

Next thing I will try is "seen but not touched." I'm planning today to set Pearl up in the clear hospital tote that I can put in the shadiest corner and leave her in the aviary with everyone else, where she can see them, but not pick on Jenny. And I'll rearrange everything... again... 😮‍💨

I've attached a video here, please feel free to take a look and let me know if you guys see anything about the furniture, setup, behavior, etc. that I haven't noticed/thought of yet. I'm at my wit's end, here. But because Jenny was able to be rehabilitated I really don't want to cull anyone yet...

I know we've been going back and forth with our behavior issues and mine aren't solved either...and came here because I'm considering building an aviary to address our behavior problems! LOL.

I know we've been going back and forth with our behavior issues and mine aren't solved either...and came here because I'm considering building an aviary to address our behavior problems! LOL.
Also, one of mine that was participating in the bullying is my Mrs. Nesbit who never, never causes a problem for anyone. All the sudden she thinks she can be mean.

Back
Top Bottom